Music....

by lavendar 5 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

I'm curious.......I know the WTS teaches that R-rated movies are "evil" and the members shouldn't view them. Is this a DF offense, if caught? Or would the "offender" just be raked over the coals?

Also, does the WTS go so far as to try & control the kind of MUSIC the members listen to??

Thanks for the help!

Lavendar

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I guess watching "bad" movies would result in a loss of privileges.

Same for music, and there is plenty of counsel regarding it.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

In the early 80's our staunch jw mom made my brother burn all of his classic rock albums.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

.I know the WTS teaches that R-rated movies are "evil" and the members shouldn't view them. Is this a DF offense, if caught? Or would the "offender" just be raked over the coals?

Nah, not a df offense. You'd just get the spiritually weak label slapped on you.

Same in regards to music. Watchtower literature usually doesn't mention specific artists by name, although they've come very close on occasion:

*** w93 4/15 p. 22 Guard Against Unwholesome Music! ***

Heavy Metal—Sex, Violence, and Satanism

11 Another popular form of music is heavy metal. Heavy metal is more than high-decibel hard rock. Says a report in The Journal of the American Medical Association: “Heavy metal music . . . features a loud pulsating rhythm and abounds with lyrics that glorify hatred, abuse, sexual deviancy, and occasionally satanism.” Why, the names alone of some of the more popular bands testify to the depravity of this brand of rock. They include such words as
    “ poison, ” “ guns, ” and “ death. ” Yet, heavy metal seems fairly tame in comparison with thrash metal and death metal—fringe musical genres spawned by heavy metal. The names of these bands exploit terms like “cannibal” and “obituary.” Youths in many lands may not realize how repulsive these names are because they are in English or another foreign language.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I can remember back in the 1990's we had this co named Mega that was a real tight ass. He was rude and short with everyone. He told us from the platform that if we were even seen in line at a theater for an R rated movie to expect to be dragged before a judicial committee. This evil, baldheaded, shitass was more of a stumbling block than anything else and I hope he goes back to Brooklyn and eats fists-full-of-shit til he backs up.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Watching a R-rated movie is something that you would get a visit from Brother Hounder if you are caught doing it. That hounder-hounder went beyond what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wrote down--you would lose any "privileges" and have a harder time moving ahead if you made a practice of watching R- movies.

The music is another area of control. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has printed a few Washtowel articles warning about different types of music. In 1983, they warned of "evil disco" that leads to fornication (if that was true, I would be downloading even more than I already have). They also warned against funk and rock music, and told people that even some "oldies" were dirty songs. In 1993, they put out another Washtowel warning against heavy metal and rap. You could lose "privileges" and get hounded if you were caught with any proscribed music, but that was about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit