....speaking of Florida!

by imissmaine 5 Replies latest jw friends

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Searchingforfriends and I will be taking a cruise out of Miami next week and when we return we will have 2 extra full days in Southern Florida area before we fly back home. So, what should we do? Any Floridians have some good suggestions?? We were thinking about driving down to the Keys and staying in the Key Largo area and exploring all that stuff. Neither one of us have been to Miami either though. We'll get enough beach time on the cruise, so we don't necessarily want to hit up any more beaches. We are pretty much game for anything. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated! Thanks, IMM & SFF

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Go to the State Park - John Pennycamp & take the glass bottom boat ride. It's about 3 hours, about $15 a person, and an absolute thrill as to what you will see. The keys are great. Key Largo is the first key, and from there the drive to Key West is so pretty, that you will not mind that it's 2 hours. If you stay in Key West, make sure you stay in an appropriate inn for your lifestyle. There are "clothing optional" and openly "gay" inns, where you'll see a skeeterful. If you had more that 2 days, go to Fort Jefferson off of Key West. It's a whole days trip, but well worth it to see this old fort emerging out of the sea.

If you are looking for something to do in Miami, Parrott Island and South Beach are right near the cruise ships. Parrott Island is a fantastic zoo/animal show place. You can even hold baby tigers and baby monkeys. Live ones.

Skeeter

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Great advice Skeeter, thank you!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I've been a frequent visitor to Florida, and there's a lot to see.

I heartily endorse the recommendation to visit Pennekamp state park, which was (maybe still is) the only state park in America that's entirely underwater.

http://www.pennekamppark.com/

I also enjoyed an elegant century-old mansion, a tour of which will help you learn more of Miami's history. It's called Vizcaya, on the beachside. You can also see the room where Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II met together to help plot the demise of the Communist bloc in the 1980's.

http://www.vizcayamuseum.org/

If you're an animal lover, Parrot Jungle will enthrall you. You can walk by and even feed tame birds of paradise, and see wonderful bird and animal shows.

http://www.parrotjungle.com/

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

You could hit the beach, but choose according to your tolerance level... (I grew up in Miami!)

Miami Beach: North of 30th St - Normal beach; South of 30th St - Topless beach

Haulover Beach - 1/2 standard beach / 1/2 all-nude beach...

Take your pic(k)

A@G

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

I have a follow up question for those familiar with the Miami area. You definitely seem to get a lot more for your money for the hotels in the Miami area. Key Largo looks to only be 75 - 90 minutues away from Miami. We have found the hotels in Key Largo and surrounding towns to be kind of so-so unless you fork over a bunch of cash for the higher end hotels. However, in Miami you can get quite a bit for even less than the cheapest hotel in Key Largo.

Just wondering if anyone definitely think we should stay in Key Largo or if you think it will be just fine to dive down and stay in Miami??

Thanks again, IMM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit