Death for Islamic apostates

by HB 3 Replies latest social current

• HB
    HB

I know this board is focused on JW issues, but one or two people may be interested in an article on the BBC website, which discusses the attitudes to apostacy in the Islamic religion.

Here is a quick overview:
    The penalty for leaving Islam or converting to another religion is death. It may have been the reason why a British teacher who converted from Islam was killed in Somalia last week.

The Quran does not in fact say anything about punishing apostates, and some academics are now teaching that the classical law of apostasy in Islam is wrong and based on a misunderstanding of the original sources. Nevertheless, apparently of over a third of young British Muslims believe that the death penalty should apply for apostasy.

If you want to read the article see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7355515.stm

Disfellowshipping in the JW religion is evil and abhorrent but at least it is not quite as final as death. However at least progressive Islamist academics can have open public discussions with traditional dogmatists about attitudes towards apostasy, so they are in this respect at least, more advanced than the WTS!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Islam and JWs - two of my favorite religions - so tolerant it is unbelievable

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

You would think anyone following any religion with such extreme views would question their own loyalty?

Like;

If I die if I leave, am I following it because I love or because I want my own life (utter self centred preservation) or due to complete fear?

So I would agree with those followers who disagree with such an 'aura' because it completely undermines freewill of the human life form!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Has anyone done the math? Is the whole world is becoming more integrated and educated at a faster rate than the population growth in relatively uneducated portions of humanity?

I say this because I feel the future of humanity will largely depend on global awareness of 'belief' rather than indoctrination.

All beliefs have been passed down by humans to humans and it is up to present day humans to fathom future ways of life that all of us can aspire to absent fear and threat.

We see how conflict breeds conflict.

How to change on a global scale will indeed test humanitys intellectuals to their inner core.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit