new initiative

by Lizzie 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Lizzie
    Lizzie

Hi,

Im new to the site, was brought up in 'the truth' but stopped going about three years ago. My Dad has been an elder all my life and as far as elders go he is one of the most 'normal' if you know what I mean. Anyway him and his best friend who is also an elder were suddenly removed last month for attending their daughters weddings (both were baptised but stopped going around 5years ago but werent ever disfellowshipped). I am absolutely disgusted by the whole thing!Anyway its now apparently a conscience matter if non elders want to attend weddings of family that are unbelievers but elders are not allowed.

My dad was asked that now he knows that he shouldnt have gone to her wedding would he go if it was next week type thing (the wedding was over year ago) when he said yes he was asked to step down, when he refused he was removed and so was his friend whos daughters wedding is in a couple of months.(my dad had to write a letter to Bethel saying his side of the story etc).

Anyway what Im getting at is that the 'new initiative' or thought is that once someone has been baptised he/she is a believer until they dissasociate themselves. Dad was told it would be ok to attend my wedding as I was never baptised but as my sister was she is technically marrying an unbeliever and it is apparently that which is wrong and why my dad is removed.

The society has basically said to my Dad that things need to be made more clear regarding when someone is a believer or unbeliever so I think that very soon people that have not attended for years will be getting disfellowshipped.

• Casper
    Casper

Hi, Lizzie

My dad was asked that now he knows that he shouldnt have gone to her wedding would he go if it was next week type thing (the wedding was over year ago) when he said yes he was asked to step down, when he refused he was removed and so was his friend whos daughters wedding is in a couple of months.

This is such unreasonable behavior on the society's part. I'm sorry your family has to endure such thinking.

We look forward to hearing more about you and your JW experiences.

Cas

• sacolton
    sacolton

WELCOME!!!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Whoa! This is interesting.

Bethel was involved in removing an elder for attending his daughters wedding! A faded.baptized child marrying a non-Witness....

Hmm...This is new to me. Is the GB coming down on the organization even harder? Got the POs attending elder schools where they are taught how to research just WTS info.

Now this.

If the GB is cracking down like this, there's going to be some serious fallout. What father, elder or not, is going to put up with this shit?? Only the braindead, and I think there is going to be a reaction.

S4

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

That's despicable on the part of the org that a father can't go to his own daughter's wedding.

• yknot
    yknot

Welcome !!!

So sad how they treat people who have been loyal for so long over what should be a matter of conscience. (Your Dad Rocks!)

I hope your father is okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit