"Too young to die?"

by msil 5 Replies latest jw friends

• msil
    msil

I had occasion to travel to sub-Saharan Africa on business a year ago. While staying there I did my best to try and find internet-cafés as I wanted to check investments and email as frequently as I could.

One evening I went to one of the web-cafés and was busy until around 11:30pm surfing the web and going about my business. I was thirsty and asked the manager if they had any Cokes or other soft drinks. He informed me that if I crossed the street there was a small shop that served sandwiches that was open late. I paid him and left.

As I approached the shop I noticed some movement in the shadows and a small boy came out and looked at me. I greeted him. He said to me: “Please boss, can you buy me something to eat I am so hungry.”

I answered: “What is your name?”

”Lucas”, he replied.

“Lucas, do you know what time it is?” I asked.

“No boss, I saw you come over here though and I wondered….”

“Lucas, of course I will buy you something to eat. What would you like?”, I asked.

“Could you buy me a packet of potato-chips?”

“I’ll be right back”, I said. I returned a few minutes later with 2 Cokes, a beef sandwich and a packet of potato-chips”. I kept a Coke for myself and gave him the rest.

“Thank you, thank you boss”, he said and he started wolfing down the food.

While he was eating I asked him: “Lucas, why are you out here so late?”

“I live over there”, he said gesturing to a shop doorway.

“But where are your parents?”, I asked.

“My mother is dead from AIDS and my father took a new woman and told me to leave”, he said.

I asked: “Lucas, how old are you?”

“I am 8, boss”, he answered.

We walked a little together until we came to a better-lit area. I looked at him more closely. He had on a pair of shorts, a T-shirt and a gray sweater, which was filthy. I looked at his legs and they were scarred and one of them was festering. His little face was full of sores and his cheeks hung loose. At this point my heart felt as though it was being totally ripped from my body, but I managed to choke back any clear my obvious tears.

“Lucas, can I help you find a place to stay?”, I asked.

“Boss, no one will take me to their house…I am like my mother…you see my mouth?”, he said as he pointed to his sores.

“But Lucas what will become of you then? You need help…”

“Boss, am I too young to die? I am so scared…I see how my brother he died last month…he was 11 and he was much stronger than me”, he said.

“Lucas, everyone is too young to die. Please let me take you to someone who can help you”

“Boss, I must go now…I have been to the children-home and they try to make me go to school. I don’t want school…I will never use the stuff they learning me. You going to take me there? Please no, no!!” and off he ran back into the shadows.

I looked for Lucas, many times over the next week but I never found him. I cannot eat a packet of potato-chips even now. I have tried but I keep hearing that little voice asking: “Boss, am I too young to die?”

• joelbear
    joelbear

Multiply Lucas by about 10 Million a year.

• AMarie
    AMarie

Msil:

That is a heart wrenching story. God that is so sad. It takes stories like those to realize how lucky we are. Americans are so caught up in making big bucks that they forget how lucky they are to have their health, a roof over their heads and food to eat.

Thanks for posting the story.

AMarie

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

OHHHh that made me cry!!! sometimes we get so overwhelmed, with our own problems, and we forget how bad some people really have it!!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• LDH
    LDH

If you ALL haven't read Mr. Moe's thread, "Feedback needed please" --I would encourage you to do so.

I'm with Joel on this one. This is just a glimpse of how horrid life is for most of the world's children.

Lisa

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. Words really an't describe the injustice of the lives some are forced to live. What you did, providing the child with comfort and a full tummy, was at least some comfort in his life.

Be grateful for what you have and who is alive and with you. Be grateful for life itself and all of the opportunites that you have available. You never know if the next breath you take or the next breath your loved one will take will be the last.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit