a basic of abuse

by lancelink 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• lancelink
    lancelink

I have been studying Psychology this past semester at college, and I had a different type of question for this site.

When abuse of any type occurs ( whether it be toward children, or adults) usually animal abuse can be found linked
    somewhere in the abusers past.

It seems that abusing an animal is acknowledged as an outlet for allowing troubled personalities to vent,
    it allows the person to feel more "in charge."
    After abusing the animal this type of personality can just snowball into more perverse, and damaging aspects.

Here is one of the many links I have been reading for this class:

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_humanAbuse.asp

Now here is my question, ( this is not whining, or picking an argument) does anyone here have any stories about witnesses treating animals in a bad way?

It seems with all the repressed personalities in this religion esp. with teenage JW's, or abusive elders,
    this type of problem would be prevalent, yet people might not recognize it as being strange.
    It was a real eye-opener for me to read about this

I’m not trying to cause trouble for anyone, just curious about this aspect.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    When abuse of any type occurs (whether it be toward children, or adults) usually animal abuse can be found linked somewhere in the abusers past.

If you look at the research this applies to sociopaths and not to abusers in general. The histories of sociopaths is very often riddled with the abuse of animals.

What we can say about abusers in general is that they have a history of having been or having witnessed abuse in their pasts.

That does not mean that all victims will become abusers because most choose to protect rather than abuse others.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Before he was a jw, my stepfather shot my cousin's dog, and after he became a jw, he shot my brother's dog. He was abusive in several ways but not physically, both before and after becoming a jw.

• yknot
    yknot

The Lady speak with Truth and Knowledge.......once again!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It has been my experience that the society has a very low opinion of pets in general.

Back in the early 70's there was an article in the awake about dogs, it was basically three pages of nothing but negative stuff.

I recall several times at assemblies comments would be made about how much time and money people would waste on there pets.

After one such assembly, one brother in our circuit went home and shot the families two dogs, because they took to much time away from serving jah.

But then again, the GB are negative about everything non-JW.

It seems to me that other fundy groups tend to be insensitive towards animals also.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

What Lady Lee said.

• lancelink
    lancelink

thank you for the posts, I was not trying to imply that JW's are horrible animal abusers.

i was just studying it and the thought crossed my mind, hey there are people from all over the world on this site,
    I was just a little curious,

thank you again.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

lance I didn't think that

If anything I think most JWs don't have dogs or cats because it is just too hard to find someone to care for them when you have to go to conventions - hmmm I might be dating myself since all those assemblies and conventions are shorter than they used to be

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

My father, still alive at age 92 was somewhat abusive to animals. I've seen him when I was a child, and older, abuse several animals over the course of growing up under his parentage. On one occasion, I was forced to take a hammer and kill some kittens I'd "adopted" from the neighbor. Basically they were feral cats, although young enough that I'd caught them, and had them hidden out, feeding them milk when I could sneak away. My actions were somewhat lacking in judgement, but I was like eight years old at the time, and had no personal pets. He'd heard the kittens mewling, searched them out and found them, and realized I was hiding, thus came the edict to kill them. Not long after that, I caught a female collie and drug her home to our little farm. She had a litter of puppies which he shot when they were around three months old. He had some justification. They played rough, and liked to pull at my clothes, tearing them, so they were a nuisance in that respect. Later he shot the collie when she came in season because he didn't want more puppies. I've seen him take pick handles and shovels to cows in the dairy barn when he milked them because they were giving him a problem going into their proper stall. Some years later, after I'd grown, I worked for a veterinary hospital. My parents had bought another dairy, were milking on the average of 45 cows daily. They operated it as a family, so the younger siblings had to work their tails off in order to keep things going. They didn't have a family pet. I had a young Australian Blue Heeler come in to be put to sleep, so took the dog up to the kids. The dog survived a couple years on the farm, then my dad shot it because in his estimation it took too much time to take care of. There are more instances of his cruel and unjust treatment of animals, but I'd spend hours relating those things. As far as being abusive to my mother and my siblings, as well as myself, (I'm the eldest of five children), he was very much so. Even going so far as telling me not once but several times in the past 10 years or so, that he'd be in prison now if the authorities had found out just how abusive he was. He's been a witness since 1949. His most common comment about why he's lived so long, is to wonder if Jehovah has kept him alive because of the bad things he's done in his life. As to whether he's a sociopath, I'm not qualified to diagnose his mental illnesses. I do know that he suffers from anxiety problems, and has for probably 50 years at least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit