School Issues

by Heather2217 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heather2217
    Heather2217

Hey guys. I'm a student at UT Arlington in Texas. I am studying to be a teacher and am taking a diversity class. We are required to interview someone who is Jehovah's Witness about what their church's position is on certain issues that arise in school. Could someone help me the best they can? I have called around and tried to talk to local JW churched but no one has helped. So if someone could just answer the questions to the best of their ability according to what they think the JW chuch's position on these issues I would be so thankful. Also if you could give me your first name and the name of the church you go got. We are required to have it, don't worry we won't hunt you down and find you. Please help me!!

Here are the issues:

1.How does your church feel about prayer in school?

2. How does your church feel about teaching evolution in school?

3. How does your church feel about Sex Education in schools?

4. How does your church feel about the possible use of articles from magazines such as In Style and Playboy in the classroom?

5. How does your church feel about short stories and novels that focus on diverse lifestyles being used in the classroom?

6. How does your church feel about unmarried teacher who cohabit with the opposite sex?

7. How does your church feel about homosexual teacher?

8. How does your church feel about pregnant unmarried students attending regular school?

9. How does your church feel about planned parent hood clinics in school?

10. Do you think students should be allowed to express their faith while in school?

11. Do you think students should be allowed to pray together in schools?

12. Is it constitutional to teach about religion in public schools?

13. How should religious holidays be treated in schools?

14. Can teachers have religious objects in their classrooms?

15. May students be excused from parts of the curriculum for religious reasons?

16. May students form religious clubs in public schools?

17. May students wear religious garb and display religious symbols in public school?

18. May students distribute religious literature in the schools?

19. May students be released for off-campus religious instruction during school hours?

20. What is the relationship between religion and character education in public schools?

Please answer what you can. I cannot thank you enough for helping me out.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Used to be a JW. Raised kids as JWs.

1.How does your church feel about prayer in school?

JW kids are not allowed to participate in prayer in school. Other people can do it, just not JW's.

2. How does your church feel about teaching evolution in school?

JW's teach their children that God created the material universe. They won't try to stop schools from teaching evolution, but they will not want their kids treating it as if it is factual.

3. How does your church feel about Sex Education in schools?

JW's won't try to stop this from happening. They might ask for their children to be excused from the classes, depending on the curriculim.

4. How does your church feel about the possible use of articles from magazines such as In Style and Playboy in the classroom?

Probably most any parent will object to Playboy.

Here's four of them for you.

• Heather2217
    Heather2217

Thank you so much!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Heather,
    Here are some more answers. There are a lot of things that are considered conscience matters. JW's consciences are often influenced by the consciences of other JWs in their congregations. Congregations have different "personalities" depending on the elders and particularly the presiding overseer (head elder). Some are a bit more liberal, others a bit more conservative.

I'm no longer a JW, but answered as if I were still a barely practicing, liberal JW parent:

5. How does your church feel about short stories and novels that focus on diverse lifestyles being used in the classroom?
    The answer depends on what you mean by diverse. If diverse means 'homosexual', then many JW parents would not approve.

6. How does your church feel about unmarried teacher who cohabit with the opposite sex?
    A teacher should not be discussing this with her class, IMO. A JW would consider cohabiting a sin - fornication. Would they make an issue of it? Probably not, as long as the teacher didn't promote the lifestyle to the class.

7. How does your church feel about homosexual teacher?
    JWs view Homosexuality as a sin. However, I don't believe most JWs would make an issue of it as long as the lifestyle were not promoted in class.

8. How does your church feel about pregnant unmarried students attending regular school?
    I don't think there is an official stance on this. I can't say I ever heard any JW speak against this.

9. How does your church feel about planned parent hood clinics in school?
    If everyone lived by Bible principles and didn't fornicate, there is no need for these clinics in school. Would a JW make an issue one way or the other? I doubt it. JWs don't tend to get involved in those types of things.

10. Do you think students should be allowed to express their faith while in school?
    JWs encourage their kids to do so. Surely, they would allow others the same right. ;-)

11. Do you think students should be allowed to pray together in schools?
    I don't think JWs are opposed to this, as long as JW kids are not forced to pray with other faiths.

12. Is it constitutional to teach about religion in public schools?
    Depends on the curriculum. If it's an overview of religions, then many JWs wouldn't care. If it's teaching one specific doctrine, then JWs probably wouldn't want their kids involved. JWs don't really talk about these issues in terms of the constitutionality.

13. How should religious holidays be treated in schools?
    They should not be celebrated.

14. Can teachers have religious objects in their classrooms?
    No. JWs don't use religious objects in worship and tend to feel those objects are idols.

15. May students be excused from parts of the curriculum for religious reasons?
    Yes

16. May students form religious clubs in public schools?
    JWs wouldn't encourage their kids to form a JW club, but I've never heard any JW object to clubs like that.

17. May students wear religious garb and display religious symbols in public school?
    I don't think I've ever heard JWs discuss this. Others can do as they like, just don't force it on the JWs.

18. May students distribute religious literature in the schools?
    YES!! That's a JWs raison d'etre.

19. May students be released for off-campus religious instruction during school hours?
    JWs would probably agree.

20. What is the relationship between religion and character education in public schools?
    As long as character education doesn't push a religious agenda, JWs probably wouldn't care. The more cautious JWs would probably scrutinize the curriculum to make sure it didn't. I don't believe most JWs would make an issue of teaching honesty, responsibility, etc.

• yknot
    yknot

Check your 'inbox'

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The problem is that the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has lies made up for such surveys. They generally do not take part in cooperating with such surveys, and they are never honest about it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There used to be brochure for teachers nicknamed the school brochure. It would be good to get a copy of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit