More dark clouds on horizon for JW elders

by belbab 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• belbab
    belbab

Regarding Clergy penitent privileges

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0DE7DD133FF935A25751C0A9649C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

"The answers my friends, is blowing in the winds"

belbab

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Awesome.

Now lets tax churches too and there will hardly be reason for religion to stay in business.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I thought religions were here to serve humanity. When they invoke clergy-penitent confidentiality to cover criminal activity, these religions are only serving themselves.

I could see where people would seek advice and counsel from those they view with respect (such as clergy), and that clergy shouldn't go blabbing everything about what people reveal. But when innocent people have been harmed, the criminal needs to pay their debt to society.

This backlash against harmful confidentiality shows certain people care about innocent individuals more than they do about institutions.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All most religions seek to do is control the masses. Given the chance, they would limit people's pleasure and hamper the development of scientific breakthroughs. In extreme cases (like the Washtowel Slaveholdery), they could even start Dark Ages.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

This is the next wave for changes. As was pointed out regarding the lower courts in disagreement, this will prompt appeals and move it up to higher courts. It really is about time. This whole confessional thing was never meant to protect the clergy from their crimes. Especially against congregents.

In the case of JW's, they have the weakest defense of clerical privilege as their method of confessional hardly is one on one in any matter more serious than low field service hours. I suspect their spin in the courts is they are discriminated against because of their unique method of a confessional.

• logic
    logic

One of the very rare things Rutherford was correct about, religion is trap and a snare and as far as I am concerned that includes them all. Why would anyone entrust their spiritual well being to another human being or group. And why do they want to take the responsibility for you. Everyone I know has their own problems and most are worse than mine and thats saying a lot.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I thought religions were here to serve humanity. When they invoke clergy-penitent confidentiality to cover criminal activity, these religions are only serving themselves.

I could see where people would seek advice and counsel from those they view with respect (such as clergy), and that clergy shouldn't go blabbing everything about what people reveal. But when innocent people have been harmed, the criminal needs to pay their debt to society.

This backlash against harmful confidentiality shows certain people care about innocent individuals more than they do about institutions.

There are relationships of trust and confidence that are protected. Attorney/client priviledge for example. Or the right of a journalist to protect his sources.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit