Dr. Bernstein Diet

by Thinking of Leaving 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

has anyone tried it? the lady I take the bus with has been on it for the past 3 weeks and has already lost 15 pounds.

any experiences to share?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In my opinion, the only truly successful diet is a lifestyle change. The Bernstein diet is not something you'd want to do for the rest of your life.

I knew one person who tried the diet and she lost a lot of weight. She had to go for vitamin injections 3 times a week while on it. I can't imagine living on 850-950 calories a day. I prefer to stick to the Canada Food Guide.

Here's a writeup on the Bernstein diet.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/bernstein_diet/

W

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

Hi Finally Free, I read that write up quite some time ago, saw that one person even died from it. Thing is she insists she's NOT hungry and she feels great on the diet. She tells me that she eats half a grapefruit for breakfast and two melba crackers for lunch with cream cheese. She eats hardly anything at all and yes they inject her three times a week.

I'm like you, I follow the Canada Food Guide, and have been on Weight Watchers for years, which has helped me to keep the weight off. Just seems as though people are willing to try anything to lose weight, even if they run the risk of dying. Just bizarre.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I edited this because it doesn't directly relate to the topic.

It does seem amazing what people are willing to do to lose weight (besides exercise).

A low calorie diet that makes you lose more than 2 lbs per week is definitely going to atrophy your muscle mass. If you do that, then even if you lose the weight, you will still have a lower capacity for naturally burning calories on a normal diet (50 calories a day X 1 lb. of muscle). In the long run this means that you will gain the weight back quicker and have an even harder time losing it the next time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit