"I'm a false prophet...God is a superstition." Loved There Will Be Blood!!

by Seeker4 5 Replies latest social physical

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Watched There Will Be Blood last night. Amazing film, and Daniel Day Lewis is simply astounding. Quite a study of greed, religious hypocrisy and hatred.

There are hundreds of memorable lines, but one of my favorite exchanges is below. Daniel Plainview getting the the preacher to denounce himself and God in exchange for $100,000:

Eli Sunday: Daniel, I'm asking if you'd like to have business with the Church of the Third Revelation in developing this lease on young Bandy's thousand acre tract. I'm offering you to drill on one of the great undeveloped fields of Little Boston!

Plainview: I'd be happy to work with you.

Eli Sunday: You would? Yes, yes, of course. Wonderful.

Plainview: But there is one condition for this work.

Eli Sunday: Alright.

Plainview: I'd like you to tell me that you are a false prophet... I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.

Eli Sunday: ...but that's a lie... it's a lie, I cannot say it.
    [long pause]

Eli Sunday: When can we begin to drill?

Plainview: Right away.

Eli Sunday: How long will it take to bring in the well?

Plainview: Should be very quick.

Eli Sunday: I would like a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus plus the five that is owed with interest.

Plainview: That's only fair.

Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet and God is a superstition. If that's what you believe, then I will say it.

Plainview: Say it like you mean it.

Eli Sunday: Daniel...

Plainview: Say it like it's your sermon.

S4

• dvw
    dvw

I drink your milkshake!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I bought it and watched it over the weekend. The religion aspect surprised me, as I had no idea that ever came into play in this film until I sat down and saw it. The ending dialogue was incredible. Early on, I thought it was a good film but that quickly turned into excellent. I LOVED that movie!

• oompa
    oompa

Great movie, but I must confess I thought the ending was a bit odd. I did not get why the extent of the animosity towards the preacher, nor did I really get the animosity of the preacher to his dad in the family scene.....the twin??

slow on this one but GREAT acting.................oompa

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I liked the movie to certain extent the acting job that Lewis did was worthy of an Oscar in my opinion.

And I also liked the intensional shot in the arm it presented toward organized religion as just being another business in the world of businesses .

I wouldn't label it myself as the most enjoyable movie I've seen but I did appreciate the acting and the way it was filmed

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I think the animosity was that they were very similar men. They were scam artists offering grand promises in exchange for money. As Plainview said, he hated people in general, and I think he hated Sunday even more so because Sunday was the most despicable kind of man - pretending to speak for god as he fleeced the sheep, and knowing that he was a liar all along.

Each could see themselves in the other, and despised what they saw. In the end they really destroyed each other. It would seem that this was one murder Plainview would not get away with.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit