I've had enough, I am going to quit...Part 2

by nomoreguilt 7 Replies latest jw friends

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Oh, this is not good. I ran a thread 2 weeks ago that I was going to start taking CHANTIX to quit smoking. So, I did. I started taking it on April the 7th. Whoa! Within 20 minutes of taking it I started to get into a funk. It was like I was in a fog and my head and brain were are fuddled. I lost all self motivation which for me isn't good, as I am self-employed. I started feeling like I could fall asleep anywhere I chose to lay my head.

Almost emediately after going to sleep at night I would have Nightmares, longggggggg screaming nightmares. Scared the snot out of my wife, she had to rescue me numerous times in one night. The dreams would change and there would be 3 or 4 a night, very vivid dreams. I am sleeping very deeply and in the morning I am NOT refreshed!!! Tired all day long.

Now for the scary part. This stuff also causes SUICIDAL tendancies!!! Now don't get all wacked out about me, I am very much in control of my faculties and I know better than to allow a chemical to take me over. I quit taking this stuff Tuesday morning. Yesterday i called the help line number thay provided and learned more about this stuff.

It does do all of the above and even more, but the voice on the other end would only verify the incidences that I brought up. I didn't mention the suicide thing though, for very specific reasons. If you tell a healthcare worker that you are suicidal, they have to forcefully admit you to a psyche ward. Then, it's a matter of your mediacl record for LIFE. So, hence my not bringing up that subject with her. It takes 5 to 7 days to work it's way out of your brain.

Just thought that I'd inform any of you who are thinking of taking CHANTIX...

NMG

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Hi, NMG,

My mom is taking CHANTIX and it's working great for her. I was aware of the possible side effects before she started taking it and made sure she knew about them. I told her if she got into any kind of a funk to stop taking it. Much as I'd like her to quit smoking I'd rather have her smoking and alive than not smoking and dead.

As I said, though, it's working great for her. She hasn't had any of the side effects except that her dreams seem more real to her. They aren't scary, they are just those dreams where you think they're real until you wake up. I check on her often to make sure none of the side effects start kicking in. She's doing really well and if you don't suffer the side effects CHANTIX is supposed to be very effective.

I would recommend that anyone who is considering taking it make sure they know what the possible side effects are and a close loved one knows as well so that if need be the medicine is stopped ASAP. Of course I'm not a medical professional so this is just my opinion. Always talk to your doctor first ;)

Jackie

Edited to add... my cousin also took it to stop smoking and it worked for him. Same deal as my mom, none of the side effects except that his dreams seemed more vivid and real.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Also, if you still want to quit my mom's husband did the ear pinch thing (sorry I don't know what it's actually called, that's how we all refer to it) and it worked really well for him.

Jackie

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Yes, I know that it works also, as I have already began feeling the effects of it. However, I can't continue the risks that are in it for me. My wife said the same thing that you did, she'd rather have me HERE and smoking than the down side of this stuff. Hence, I will go cold turkey again and MAKE it happen.

Thanks for the input.

As you can see, I am still on-line and should be out working but I have to get up my drive this morning. Should be soon, maybe later, sometime this morning I'll go to work. See what I mean? LOL

NMG

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    I will go cold turkey again and MAKE it happen

Good for you!

Or you could try acupuncture, that might be fun.

hope4others

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I'm on Chantix, and its working great, except I've gotten lazy and recently started smoking again. Its nice that it kinda makes me sick to smoke, so I'm pretty sure I'll get back on the wagon soon.

I'm almost disappointed, I haven't gotten any of the cool dreams (*pooh!*).

I've actually gotten a bit high off Chantix. I was going to research what's up with that, but I guess I'd describe it as the "super oxygenated" feeling of a nic fit, without the "aaargh I'm going to die if I don't smoke" component. All good for me. That there could be suicida/mental problems associated isn't that surprising, it is a psychoactive drug afterall. I just plain feel better, even beyond much reduced nic fits. I was taking Nicotine lozenges before and that got a little crazy. Addicted to them and cigarettes, that's a lot of nicotine.

• flipper
    flipper

NO MORE GUILT- I'm truly sorry to hear you have been having a hard time with this my friend. I hope you can get some other kind of assistance to help you with the smoking. Nobody needs to be having screaming nightmares and suicidal tendencies. Don't worry, I'm not wacked out about you; I just care . I'll call you this weekend

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://allencarr.com/central/article/35/easy-way-to-stop-smoking

i don't know if you can get this book over there, but i've known 3 people who just quit outright reading this book.

its quite popular over here apparently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit