Smaller PDF of The Finished Mystery -- By Request

by cabasilas 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I had a request for a smaller PDF of the Finished Mystery that could be easily attached to an email. There are a few versions online already, but the PDF versions are usually larger than most email systems will permit as an attachment. A 19 MB PDF of a scanned version is online at:

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/docs/The_Finished_Mystery.pdf

This is a bookmarked version of the file that appears on Google Books (which is not available in all countries).

An HTML version is online on a JW site at:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/finishedmystery/fmtitles.html

However, this version is the 1926 edition and the predictions for 1918 and 1920 that appeared in the first versions have been altered.

I was unable to shrink the 19 MB file down to a smaller size, so I adapted a public domain text version PDF that was already in existence. This file had a few formatting problems. In the final editing the right and bottom margins were cropped too closely and a few charts were cut off. (Particularly the "Both Houses of Israel" in the back of the book.) Fortunately, this was easily fixed and now all the pages read correctly.

I added all the pictures that were unique to the 1918 edition of the Finished Mystery (and which also appeared in the version that was published in the Watchtower magazine in 1918). For example, it contains the picture of the 7 Messengers to the Church, which includes C.T. Russell as the 7th messenger and many others. I also restored the image of a "penny" on the publishers' page. (The view was that the Finished Mystery was the "penny" or "denarius" of Jesus' parable.)

The resulting file is 4.72 MB and is bookmarked and searchable. This file can easily be attached to most email servers. The file can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=d775f5418a5c5707492fdac1d1b7cc8a

For those interested, other smaller PDFs of notable JW books that predicted events for various years are also available:

Millions Now Living Will Never Die (predictions for 1925) 6.19 MB:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=f271a1d07a3cbc707177fe2c70e668e5

October 8, 1966 Awake! (predictions for 1975) 1.29 MB:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=5efe11c796e9a000631895595911dbd6

October 8, 1968 Awake! (predictions for 1975) 1.40 MB

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=4085412f6140029d2c479f6bb98d9e63

JWs often will not visit "apostate" websites, but most of them have email. This is just an attempt to make these files more easily distributed.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Excellent Thanks... This is my all time favorite WT quote:

w76 7/15p. 441A Solid Basis for Confidence***

But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the "day" comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.

However, say that you are one who counted heavily on a date, and, commendably, set your attention more strictly on the urgency of the times and the need of the people to hear. And say you now, temporarily, feel somewhat disappointed; are you really the loser? Are you really hurt? We believe you can say that you have gained and profited by taking this conscientious course. Also, you have been enabled to get a really mature, more reasonable viewpoint.—Eph. 5:1-17.
  • MissingLink
    MissingLink

That is great! Those scanned books are nice, but they're just so freakin huge. And the text is hard to read.

Thanks for your effort.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks. Do you know if there is a 1926 pdf version available? This would be helpful to compare the changes.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

You're welcome! As far as I know the 1926 version only exists as an html version.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I just did a comparison with the html version for where Rutherford edited out his 1920 predictions. Interestingly he left in the statements that Christendom was utterly destroyed in 1918.

p.179
    1918 ed.
    We anticipate that the "earthquake" will occur early in 1918, and that the "fire" will come in the fall of 1920.
    1926 ed. We anticipate that the "earthquake" will occur early in 1918, and that the "fire" will follow in due course.

p.258
    1918 ed.
    Even the republics will disappear in the fall of 1920. … The three days In which Pharaoh's host pursued the Israelites into the wilderness represent the three years from 1917 to 1920 at which time all of Pharaoh's messengers will be swallowed up in the sea of anarchy.
    1926 ed. Even the republics will disappear in the time of anarchy. … The three days in which Pharaoh's host pursued the Israelites into the wilderness may represent the three years preceding the time of anarchy at which time all of Pharaoh's messengers will be swallowed up in the sea of angry humanity.

p.313
    1918 ed.
    30:13. And the sea.—The masses of mankind, not under religious restraint—the condition of the whole world in the time of anarchy due in its full severity in the fall of 1920.
    1926 ed. 20:13. And the sea. — The masses of mankind, not under religious restraint — the condition of the whole world in the time of anarchy due in its full severity in the end of the time of trouble.

p.542
    1918 ed.
    As the fleshly-minded apostates from Christianity, siding with the radicals and revolutionaries, will rejoice at the inheritance of desolation that will be Christendom's after 1918, so will God do to the successful revolutionary movement; it shall be utterly desolated, "even all of it." Not one vestige of it shall survive the ravages of world-wide all-embracing anarchy, in the end of the time of trouble.
    1926 ed. As the fleshly-minded apostates from Christianity, aiding with the radicals and revolutionaries, will rejoice at the inheritance of desolation that will be Christendom's after 1918, so will God do to the successful revolutionary movement; it shall be utterly desolated, "even all of it" Not one vestige of it shall survive the ravages of world-wide all-embracing anarchy, in the fall of 1920.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks, Jwfacts, for sharing that.

I have to admit that I did not realize there were significant differences between the 1917 edition (the 4.72 MB file mentioned above) and the 1918 edition. Then I read a statement made in a speech by Wm. F. Hudgins in 1918 where he gave his reasons for accepting the Finished Mystery:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/1919convention/1919convention8.html

There is no more reason why we should reject the Seventh Volume because of some statements there about the ending of the war in October, 1917, which did not come true, than there is that we should throw Volume Two away because we weren't all glorified in October, 1914.

I thought to myself: where did the Finished Mystery predict the end of the war in October of 1917? The reason I did not remember this was because I am more familiar with the 1918 edition. So, in searching the 1917 PDF I came across the statements.

Page 367 of the PDF or page 268 of the book (1917 ed.) states:

But is due to make its appearance with the close of the war, some time about October, 1917.

Pages 350-351 of the PDF or page 256 of the book (1917 ed.) state:

The three days of terrible darkness over the land represent the three years of the great war, and indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

The book was released in July of 1917 and was predicting an end to the war in just 3 months after its release!!

The 1918 edition changes these statements. Interestingly, for the second one it changes the 3 days to 3 1/2 days, so the war could stretch until the Spring of 1918!! These passages are hardly recognizable at all in the 1926 edition (though the 1926 edition changes the 3 1/2 days back to 3 but does not connect it with the end of the war.)

There may be other differences between the 1917 and 1918 editions. These are just a couple I came up with in just a few minutes research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit