"He's the Last Doughboy" - end of a generation

by Bonnie_Clyde 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

An article I saw in the Detroit Free Press about a month ago.

Frank Buckles at age 107 is the sole surviving U.S. veteran of World War I. There were 4 million American veterans of the first world war and Frank is the only one left. Interesting, the term that the article uses in the 3rd paragraph: "It will salute a generation that led the nation through a Great War, a Great Depression, a great renewal."

Do you think that Armageddon will have to come before Mr. Buckles passes away?

• BrentR
    BrentR

Good Question! I think his generation by all means has passed away.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There are probably still alot of Americans still alive that was around during that era. Their dropping fast though. Are there any statistics out there as to how many people that were born in 1914 are still around?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Hey, the "generation" has changed a bit lately anyway with the latest flip-flop...

• BrentR
    BrentR

Born in 1914 or old enough to observe/remember world events in 1914?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

let's give them plenty of rope. Born in 1914.

• moshe
    moshe

I remember telling my JW wife when she was filing the divorce in 1989 that she would live to see the end of the 1914 generation. Actually, I feel like it is over already as I doubt that the WT Org can find any JW who was born in 1914 or earlier who is still alive and has been a JW since the beginning.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well according to the last US census taken in 2000, there were 337,238 persons 95+ years of age. It's been 8 years and no doubt they are dropping fast. There appears to be plenty as that number only represents the US

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

From the subject line, I thought this was going to be a discussion of some tragic news from Pillsbury.

Needless to say, I am greatly relieved.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit