memoral

by hilannj 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hilannj
    hilannj

so.. I went to the Jewish Temple near where I live and learned something interesting a few days ago.. I'm sure it has been discussed on here before but I was wondering how the JWs explain it. Jews will be celebrating the passover on April 20th this year, the memoral was a few weeks ago? any thoghts Hil

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I don't have the answer but just did a quick search and found a couple of threads that might get you started:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/155040/1.ashx

This one may have more pertinent info: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/155099/1.ashx

Good question and I wish I had more to time to explore with you but I have to leave right now. You could try using the JWD search feature and filter on 'Passover' comments this year.

-Aude.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I noticed that none of the Christian denominations got it right, either. Easter was also early (unlike that year, likely 2003, where the Crapmorial was in March but Easter was in late April). Notably, this disrupts the pattern--back in 1981 Easter was late in April, in 2035 it also falls late in April--why then does it fall in March in 2008? Easter tends to follow a 27-year cycle, falling a day later each time through, until it reaches the end of the cycle and then goes back to March (not explaining why it was in April both in 1981 and 2035).

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

I think it's primarily a calendar issue, and (for once) the JW's are following the tradition of Christian churches -- they celebrate Easter based on some cycle of the moon which I will not pretend to understand. The Jewish celebration of Passover depends on the Jewish calendar.

I've left out the details because I don't fully get them, but that's the gist.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

There is a gap between the Jewish and Gregorian calendars. The best explanation I have seen is that this is a Jewish calendar Leap year and so the month of Nisan is a month late. The jw's celebrate the memprial around the time of the Spring Equinox, and always on a full moon, however this memorial date fell on the night AFTER the full moon, so go figure.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit