Freedom of Religion

by Aleman 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aleman
    Aleman

Freedom of religion is the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance. It is generally recognized to also include the freedom to change religion or to not follow any religion. Freedom of religion is considered by many in many nations and people to be a fundamental human right.

Where individuals and not governments are concerned, religious toleration is generally taken to refer to an attitude of acceptance towards other people's religions. Such toleration does not require that one view other religions as equally true; rather, the assumption is that each citizen will grant that others have the right to hold and practice their own beliefs. Against this backdrop proselytism can be a contentious issue, as it could be regarded as an offense against the validity of others' religious beliefs, including the belief in no religion at all.

Ref. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

-Aleman

• Aleman
    Aleman

"[N]o man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities." - written in 1779 by Thomas Jefferson,

-Aleman

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

The question comes up- How do people acquire their religious beliefs in the first place? Childhood indoctrination (which goes against the human right mentioned here for people to choose their own religion, because children believe whatever they're taught) and somebody preaching it to them, for the most part.

Speaking personally, I'm not offended in the slightest if people try to sell me their religion, but I do sense a certain amount of hypocrisy if people become offended when I say their beliefs are just myths, and that they should just grow up and stop thinking they know how to live forever.

• oompa
    oompa

I like this line:

"Such toleration does not require that one view other religions as equally true; rather, the assumption is that each citizen will grant that others have the right to hold and practice their own beliefs."

If only dubs would let this be the standard for all, esp. those once in the org.................oompa

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Oompa - you are spot on!

But take note - ones whose doctrine insists on rejecting others is very deliberate and intended to promote networks of divisions!

So the WT is very intentional in what it manufactures as a reality! It maximises control and power to change to a select few without too much opposition!

That is the model they advertise to all of humanity!

What's the betting some will see it as an advantageous concept?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Intolerance is manifested when the Gods are fighting for power and dominance

JWS have to be obviously included in this religious warfare and perhaps highlighted as such.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Personally, I think people should have the right to believe whatever they want, even if it plunges them into a Personal Dark Age. However, they should have the right to examine that belief using independent sources, and change their beliefs when they see fit to. If that means worshiping Satan because they see Jehovah as a cruel Tyrant that deprives people of fun and good times for the purpose of starting a global Dark Age, then that is a freedom that people should have. I always respected that right for people to not believe the witlesses, even when I was in.

However, no one has the right to force people to believe in a particular religion. If the government starts requiring adherence to a certain religion, then that religion gains the power to start the country in a Dark Age. That is what the witlesses' goal is--first get the right to practice their own beliefs, then deny their own members the right to change their beliefs, and then becoming the national religion. Once too many countries adhere to one religion and that religion is corrupt, that is when the religion has the power to plunge the world into the Dark Ages. They already did that once.

If people retain the right to research, however, then religion loses that power. They either have to clean up their acts or go bust. People will examine the Bible--either they will see what the Protestant denominations saw (and most independent Bible students end up like many Protestant denominations), or they will see it all as a farce and full of prime errors. And the more people independently research it, the more of the mysticism they will see and bust. If people bust all the myths, we enter the opposite of a Dark Ages--so long as government regulators keep out of it, such would be more a Light Ages, or Golden Age.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Yeah Wiz,

Imagine if JWs had a president?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit