A Compassionate Heart.....Do You Still Have One?

by nomoreguilt 9 Replies latest jw friends

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I've just spent a few days considering the posts of sooo many new ones here. At times I feel overwhelmed by the negative impact that the WTBTS has had on many. The horror stories of families lost, loved ones scorned, youth lost, EXTREME SEXUAL abuse, MY GOD!!!! I have to question my sanity at times when I look back on the life that I lead as a jw and failed to recognise the destructiveness of that organisation.

I have to admit, that I myself was quite calloused when it came to another jw's hardship, thinking, well, they aren't doing what jehovah wanted them to be doing. It's their own fault. How narrow minded I WAS!! Now , all I can do is sit here in front of my computer, like the rest of you and see the fallout from that lifestyle.

Since my having left the borg, I have broadened my perspective and widened my heart when it comes to the plight of people suffering hardships in life. Be it financial, emotional or physical, my heart goes out to them.

Now, when I read an expierence of a new person on JWD, I put myself in their place and think to myself," What if that had happened to ME"? Or, " Ya know, that sounds like what I went through, or so-and-so I knew went through."

Heart felt compassion goes a long way my friends. Carry on in the fine works that you do here, as I know that I will also.

NMG

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    Since my having left the borg, I have broadened my perspective and widened my heart when it comes to the plight of people suffering hardships in life. Be it financial, emotional or physical, my heart goes out to them.

I think I've always had a compassionate heart, even while a JW, I meant well. But, like your words above...my compassion now is better and more inclusive. As a JW (or any fundamentalist) we had to wear these giant filters -- blinders, that kept us from seeing or caring about the true complex human condition.

We just condemned everybody that could not see "The Truth ©". Simplistic.

I'm feeling much better now !

• Casper
    Casper
    As a JW (or any fundamentalist) we had to wear these giant filters -- blinders, that kept us from seeing or caring about the true complex human condition.

I too feel that I've always been a compassionate person, before becoming a witness and during. That's what made it so hard for me to accept the shunning practices.

I had experienced some of the hardships the world was enduring... and had a really hard time "filtering" it out and pretending it didn't matter.

So glad I never have to feel pressured into condemning people anymore, just because they live and believe differently than I do.

Cas

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Compassion is a noble quality and beautiful to see in any human!

Repeatedly rejected compassion is a broken heart and a love cut to ribbons wielding its energies to cry for the souls of those it sees will follow it!

• flipper
    flipper

NO MORE GUILT - Great thread topic ! Hope you are well. Don't come down too hard on yourself for as you say , " failing to recognize the destructiveness of that organization. " We all basically couldn't recognize it because of being under " cult mind control" ourselves ! And, not only that - but much of the abuses you mention took place in the dark shadows of back rooms at the kingdom halls , or quiet whisperings between brothers and sisters which you and I never would hear about .

Like you, when I first came on the board over a year ago - I too was shocked at the extent my fellow posters had suffered injustices while in the witnesses. That is one reason I've gotten so active on this board and outside the board trying to help people who have escaped out of the witness cult. I feel deep pity, and compassion for what these people have gone through, losing their mind to " cult control" , and after getting out, struggling to think free again. I want to help where I can. Like all of us. Good thread bro ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Maddie
    Maddie

I try to be compassionate

Maddie

• chickpea
    chickpea

very much along the lines of what was already stated.... i have always had a compassionate heart but had to curtail it in order to be "approved".... if it wasnt b0rg-related then it wasnt worth my time..... i chose that course..... and i regret it deeply

now i am unfettered and i seek opportunity to exercise compassion and empathy

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Good topic!

I think I've always had a compassionate nature, prior to being a Dub, while I was a Dub, and even more so since becoming an ex-Dub.

But, I gotta' tell ya', I think the type of compassion that grows from a naturally good heart, is a far cry from the twisted, conditional, narrow brand of compassion espoused by the Borg.

The compassion I feel for people and "the human family," as a whole, is so much more expansive than when I was a Dub. I am free to love and care unconditionally, without regard to whether or not someone is Christian, an non-believer, a Buddhist, a Wiccan....it just doesn't have the artificial restraints that the Borg would impose on my thinking.

Cheers to all,

Alex

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I was selectively compassionate when I was a JW. Honestly the day my eyes were opened my heart was torn into millions of pieces. I felt real painful heartache for my fellow brothers & sisters - it was so raw and new I didn't know what to do - I still get that feeling, but pretty much for anyone who wears blinkers. I'm so in touch with my emotions, and with others' emotions that if someone is in pain - it's like my own pain.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Ouch !!!!!!!!!-very true Loubelle!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit