Percy Sledge and the WTBTS

by LayingLow 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I was on my way home tonight and I was listening to the radio. A familiar song came on but I played particularly close attention to the lyrics this time.
    It was Percy Sledge's "When a man loves a woman"

While normally the song would just make me reflect on how an emotionally charged relationship would lead to stupid decisions and avoiding good guidance with women, it hit me that it really was similar to the borg's hold on people. I'll post the lyrics. Just replace the word woman with something else that rhymes and fits contextually and applies (I can't think of anything that rhymes). It is late and I've had little sleep so maybe that's why I was thinking of it.

When a man loves a woman
    When a man loves a woman
    Can't keep his mind on nothin' else
    He'd trade the world
    For a good thing he's found
    If she is bad, he can't see it
    She can do no wrong
    Turn his back on his best friend
    If he puts her down

When a man loves a woman
    Spend his very last dime
    Trying to hold on to what he needs
    He'd give up all his comforts
    And sleep out in the rain
    If she said that's the way
    It ought to be

When a man loves a woman
    I give you everything I've got (yeah)
    Trying to hold on
    To your precious love
    Baby please don't treat me bad

When a man loves a woman
    Deep down in his soul
    She can bring him such misery
    If she is playing him for a fool
    He's the last one to know
    Loving eyes can never see

Yes when a man loves a woman
    I now exactly how he feels
    'Cause baby, baby, baby
    I am a man
    When a man loves a woman

I no longer ascent to the last part of the last stanza but once I did. First I did it with women, then with a concept. Probably more concepts and women to come in the future. The lesson with women actually kept me quite cautious afterwards for some time so I'm hoping the one with the organization does likewise.

I think that accurately describes the hold the society has on some individuals. I know guys and girls that are in relationships and they can't see the red flags going up because they're in love. Trying to reason with someone emotionally attached is probably about as easy as trying to reason with a drunk. I don't know what the practicality of posting this was except that it seemed to explain a situation.

Peace and love to everyone, have a great week.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Its likely why some who have a first good experience of the opposite sex are more likely to make other good decisions for themselves and also why thoise having a first bad experience can get into a lifetime of trouble rebounding from one dysfunction to another and never learning how to identify good situations - or maybe feeling inadequate when an ideal partner does come along due to their own awareness of their lack of wholesome relationships - which again parallels with exJW life on outing into the world at large!

Seems chance is a game of life in which many either get on a good roll or a bad one before death comes along?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    When a man loves a woman
    Can't keep his mind on nothin' else
    He'd trade the world
    For a good thing he's found
    If she is bad, he can't see it
    She can do no wrong
    Turn his back on his best friend
    If he puts her down

I think that's quite appropriate....a good dub will trade education and a secure future for a pie-in-the-sky promise. When the org is bad, he'll never see it!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, LL:

Great connection you've made there. As you stated, simply substitute a few words.

Once you see you've been played for a fool - and can admit it to yourself - you move on.

Well, hopefully ...

Thanks.

CoCo

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    If she is bad, he can't see it She can do no wrong Turn his back on his best friend If he puts her down

Yes that about sums up the faithful dub.. A friend of mine within used to like using the expression "being in love with The Truth". He still is. I have been exchanging e mails for some time but with no effect at all.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

One time I met a guy in the ministry who really put it to me with the scriptures. He asked some deep questions that I was completely unprepared for (Salvation Issues and scriptures applying YHWH to Jesus from OT). Of course I pretended like I couldn't see the point he was making at the time but it left me thinking about it for several years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit