Approaching the Attorney General of New York?

by nomoreguilt 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Do you suppose, that if there were a concerted effort by enough people, that the AG of New York state could compel the WTBTS to divulge the names of all the child molesters that are in their files??

Do you think that enough pressure could be placed on the society in order to diminish their stature with the state? Imagine the impact that just the suggestion of such a move would make on Brooklyn......

My thoughts......any others????

NMG

• notyetx
    notyetx

I don't think that this might work. Andrew Cuomo is the AG of New York. I believe he is Catholic as is his father, former Governor Mario Cuomo. Think about how this might play out:

1) The AG announces an investigation of JW's specifically with regard to concealing the database.

2) The JW's respond in two ways. They sue the AG's office for violation of 1st Amendment rights (selective prosecution of a religious organization). They also begin a public information campaign to align themselves with other religious bodies to demand that the government not interfere with the internal working of religious groups. (In other words, they begin to portray themselves as victims rather than willing co-conspirators of child abuse.)

3) Catholic groups and others in NY begin to pressure this AG to drop the investigation. AG's poll numbers begin to drop.

4) The AG drops the investigation. JW's win a "moral" victory for religious rights and strengthen their hand against further disclosure.

Just a thought.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    New York state could compel the WTBTS to divulge the names of all the child molesters that are in their files??

It might take an awful lot of people and a tremendous amount of letters.

Just my 2 cents, but it is a great thought.

hope4others

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

NMG,

It's a great idea.

Of course, the Borg will try to claim that they immune from disclosure because of the clergy-penitent confidentiality exception to the general rule that compels testimony if someone is aware of a crime. And, that is the key! There is something called the "Tarasoff" exception to the exception that compels testimony if the person/organization is knows/should know that a crime is going to be committed.

The AG is not a moron. He probably would not go after just the Borg, but would instead include all religious organizations who are potentially harboring child molesters.

The down side of this is that it is fraught with all kinds of constitutional issues and it would probably drag out in both the state court and federal courts for a decade or more.

Still, it's a great idea.

Alex

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

It probably will not work. I also side on the issue of the WTS here. They honestly don't even have to keep records of known molesters. I don't believe it is the governments right to force someone to give up something that is already public info. If your concerned you can always search the child molester database. I personally do feel it would be a violation of rights to give up a name in public of someone who admitted to doing something but was not charged with Child molestation by the government.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit