opinions on song lyrics please

by loosie 9 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie

I am just doing a reality check here. I want to see if I am holding on to my old prude JW feelings or if this really isn't appropriate.A re the following lyrics ok for a 10 year old to sing for a chuch choir program.

Colbie Caillat Bubbly Lyrics Will you count me in?

I've been awake for a while now
    You got me feelin like a child now
    'Cause every time I see your bubbly face
    I get the tinglies in a silly placechorus:
    It starts in my toes
    And I crinkle my nose
    Wherever it goes
    I always know
    That you make me smile
    Please stay for a while now
    Just take your time
    Wherever you go

The rain is falling on my window pane
    But we are hiding in a safer place
    Under covers staying dry and warm
    You give me feelings that I adore

(repeat chorus)

What am I gonna say
    When you make me feel this way
    I just mmmmm

And it starts in my toes
    Makes me crinkle my nose

Wherever it goes
    I always know
    That you make me smile
    Please stay for a while now
    Just take your time
    Wherever you go

I've been asleep for a while now
    You tuck me in just like a child now
    'Cause every time you hold me in your arms
    I'm comfortable enough to feel your warmth

And it stats in my soul
    And I lose all control
    When you kiss my nose
    The feelin' shows
    'cause you make me smile baby
    Just take your time now
    Holdin' me tight

Wherever wherever wherever you go
    Wherever wherever wherever you go

wherever you go
    I always know
    'Cause you make me smile
    Even just for a while

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Whatever you do, don't tell the ten year old this song is bad. The ten year should be naive enough about adult things not to read anything risque into this song. Don't you remember being a child and not getting the double speak of adult songs or movies? I do. The song is innocuous. It's not blatantly sexual in its overtones. Let the kids be.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I'm reminded of a Bill Cosby anecdote about his eight year old daughter walking around the house singing "Give it to me all night long" and then wondering what his daughter thought she was going to 'get' all night long ! LOL.

But I think if someone from the church choir has chosen this song then they must be very naive. Can you trust them to be savvy any other time?

I wouldn't make an issue of it. Anything like my daughters they'll be singing something different next week none the wiser.

• loosie
    loosie

The reason I ask is because this is my cousin's daughter who will be singing this. My cousins family is quite snooty. She thinks her kids can do no wrong. Her family never attend family furnerals, because they just can't be bothered. I've lived in this town for 7 years and she has come over only once during that time.

they never were JW's but they're snooty enough to be.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I was a very naive fourteen-year-old when I met this girl from a different congregation. I ended up having a crush on her. We were both into grunge music (this was the mid 90's after all) and I played guitar and sung. So when we had her and her family over, we broke out the guitars. I decided in my infinite wisdom to sing and play the song "Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana for her and her parents. There is a line in that song, if you're not familiar with it, that goes "broken hymen of your highness, I'm left back"

Me, being the naive, innocent virgin boy whose parents had opted him out of the sex part of health class (and didn't bother to educate me on the subject of women's anatomy, I didn't need to know such things until I was married!), had no idea what a "hymen" was and thus sang the line clearly and loudly in front of her, her elder father and her mother. I can't remember the reaction on their faces, but obviously I found out what it was later. A couple years ago I remembered that experience and realized what I had said all those years ago. It didn't stick with me because for years I thought nothing of it!

*sigh* It's always fun realizing something you did years ago was actually embarrassing and you didn't know it at the time.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The reason I ask is because this is my cousin's daughter who will be singing this. My cousins family is quite snooty. She thinks her kids can do no wrong.

It's not the child's fault the parents are snooty. Lots of us, as parents, never dreamt our kids were doing the things they were. That's very normal to varying degrees.

Let the parents think what they want and please let that kid be a kid.

Honestly, I don't think the song is that risque. It's really very innocent compared to a lot of things people listen to.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

B Deserter, I didn't know that song had that lyric. I was and am a Nirvana fan. I think it's to the credit of the parents not to call you on the floor for the lyrics and embarrass you. Besides, sometimes calling attention to something will make a kid want to do something even more, and then it will be out of spite, rather than innocent fun.

Remember the song Angel of the Mornin? I loved the song as a kid in the late 60s. Later my jw sister in law told me that she and her sisters sang it all he time. Finally their mother asked them not to anymore as she tired of the song. She never once told them what thesong was really about. I didn't know either until I was an adult. And that's the way it should be, if kids are lucky enough to still be innocent.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I guess you will no if you here any oohs and awe's from the audience, hopefully it may go right over their heads.

hope4others

• loosie
    loosie

Oh don't worry I'm not going to say anything. It's not my place to say anything.

it's just that this kid gets offended easily by my daughter. They were at my aunt's baking cookies and playing games. My daughter decided to tickle her and she got mad and called her dad to come pick her up. It's just that they are raising their kids with the attitude that they are better than everyone else. and when it comes down to it their kids are just like everyone else.

• DodgedABullet
    DodgedABullet

I don't think that this song is overtly sexual, but it does seem to be about two people who are in love and expressing it somewhat physically. I don't think that this song is the most appropriate for a 10 year old's church program. But, I do agree that you should not bring it to her attention, so perhaps you could just tell her there are other songs that she does better?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit