Started Reading Crisis of Conscience

by B_Deserter 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I've read the first two chapters, and it's quite interesting. Franz makes many of the observations I have as well. Upon reading the beginning of this book, I realized something. I realized why the society and the witnesses view this book as so "poisonous."

They view it as such because Franz does not conform to their caricature of an "apostate." He is very apologetic of the Witnesses, even saying he abhors the act of disrupting Witness meetings and assemblies. What's scary to them is that he isn't vicious. He isn't trying to "tear down." He went through persecution and talks about the old religion with pride. His non-conformity to the demonization of those who leave the church is in of itself the perceived danger. Any witness getting his hands on this book and reading it will have no choice to put his guard down, because there are no attacks to defend against. Any witness reading this book will be forced to re-evaluate what the society says about so-called apostates. Any witness reading this book will be forced to realize that the society is wrong in at least that one aspect.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

If you like CoC, you'll love "In Search of Christian Freedom". I'm on page 200 of about 700 I think. I don't agree with his christian beliefs, but he does a heck of a good job of tearing down the WTS false teachings.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    He is very apologetic of the Witnesses, even saying he abhors the act of disrupting Witness meetings and assemblies. What's scary to them is that he isn't vicious. He isn't trying to "tear down." He went through persecution and talks about the old religion with pride. His non-conformity to the demonization of those who leave the church is in of itself the perceived danger.

That was what I liked about the book as well. I have just started another book written in a similar vein. It’s called "Apocalypse Delayed" of which Franz quotes from, and it is written by a former witness and professor called M. James Penton. It also tends to be apologist, just deals with the facts, and shows no signs of your typical "apostate" traits, as rendered by the society. Could easily be used as a book for Social studies.

Hope you enjoy C of C.

• atpeace
    atpeace

i just finished this book over the weekend. it confirmed how things are done, though i expected it for some time. it made me feel so sick inside - and i wish i could share it with my family that is still in. but they would never even attempt to read it. i've been out for several years, and when i saw a latest watchtower that said you didn't need to read anything but it - i felt so angry - at one time i would have had this same brainwashing mindset. then i realized, anything i would hear or read outside of the org should only strengthen my faith, what is the society afraid of?

i appreciated how franz didn't say to go out and try to get everyone out - he knows the consequences this would have on those of us who still have family speak to us. i found him very thoughtful and insightful.

the first few chapters were hard for me to get through - the end was so good. especially the updates in the back regarding the new thought regarding "generation".

i have in search of christain freedom - but the size is a little daunting! i've also ordered "captives to a concept" - can't wait to read this one.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It is indeed an,"Eyes Wide Open", detailed book. I highly recommend it for everyone thinking of or are a current JW. I beleive people should see who is pulling the strings behind the curtain.

It reminds me of the Professor Marvel as the sham "Wizard of Oz" and the subjects are the "Tin Man" and all they need is a "brain" along with the "courage" the Cowardly Lion needed and find the yellow brick road to life without the JW/WTBS.

Quirky1

• ninja
    ninja

if you like the softly softly approach a la Franzy....you'll love my new book .......title?...."the GB are a bunch of dangly bits"......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit