It is just me or was the memorial off by a day?

by FiveShadows 6 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

I'm not exactly sure how to calculate the memorial date. I'm aware that one year back in the 90s, the society actually was off the memorial date by ONE day. As i came out of the organization, the brother who left with me was talking to me about it and said 'i remember one year it was off by a day.' Now i've tried looking up online how to calculate, but i'm not sure how the society calculates the memorial day? How do they do it? and how is it erroneous, if it is? Now, if they did infact have it wrong ONE year...then have they been using that ONE date ever since and been off since that one year? or do they recalculate every year before the memorial occurs? Cause if they calculate off of the day of previous years' memorial...then ever since the 90s, it's been off by one day. My other non-exwitness friends are saying that March 21st at sundown was infact the correct memorial date, ... And some of the stuff i've looked online confirms this, but i want to be sure. Can anyone help me understand?

Curious

Fs

• Odrade
    Odrade

14 days after the new moon closest to the spring equinox, when the moon is full over Jerusalem. If you are on the other side of the world from Jerusalem, you might be one day ahead of or behind the full moon, based on the "over Jerusalem" calculation.

• loosie
    loosie

I was told that is is suppossed to be on the first full moon after the spring equinox. The full moon this year was friday night. Saturday night it was only 99% full.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I do believe Odrade has it right.

14 days after the new moon closest to the spring equinox, when the moon is full over Jerusalem. If you are on the other side of the world from Jerusalem, you might be one day ahead of or behind the full moon, based on the "over Jerusalem" calculation.

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

Actually, according to the REAL Jewish calendar, it was about a MONTH off, as is the Christian church's Easter this year. i guess no one is getting it right.

I can't figure out how to cut and paste, but the calendar at the sites (if they work) says it will be in April.

http://www.happypassover.net/passover-calendar.html

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/custom.html?year=2008&country=34&month=4&typ=1&display=1&hol=25

The JWs used to brag that they always did it on Nisan 14.

sacrebleu

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I agree that the whole thing was a whole month off. Why? Back in 1981 (and Easter has been repeating in roughly a 27 year cycle), Easter was late in April. There was no reason in hell why it had to be in March this year--the real Easter is April 20. I guess that's why churches are dangerous--with misinformation like that, it will not be long before we are right back in the Dark Ages, complete with Roman numerals.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yeah its off by a month. I was talking to this jewish dude I work with and he was saying that the date for passover is set and most greek orthodox churches follow with the jewish calender. The catholic church has there own criterior they follow and it seems the Dub's are content to mirror them. This year the descrepency is so big because it is a leap year. While we add one day every four yrs, the jewish luner calender addds a whole month. Sadly I learned this while a JW, you cant help but wonder why they are not following there own words in this matter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit