WT Netherlands response (english translation)

by avengers 4 Replies latest jw friends

• avengers
    avengers

Below is the english translation of the WT response (which is in dutch). I have tried to translate as accurate as possible. If anyone thinks that the translation is not accurate enough, please send me an E-mail.

excerpt

WACHTTOREN Postbank 183765
    BIJBEL- EN TRAKTAATGENOOTSCHAP ING Bank 66.43.24.533

NOORDBARGERSTRAAT 77 7812 AA EMMEN NEDERLAND
    TELEFOON (0591) 68 35 55

SCA 8 november 2001

Mr. A. van Engers
    Holtackers 42
    7824 LB Emrnen

Beloved brother Van Engers,

Your 5 November letter, with enclosure is in our possession. Because we could not make up out of your letter how we should address you in our answer, we have for the good order informed the elders of congregation Emmen-Angelslo to ask if they know you.

We have now understood that, though you are momentarily not actively connected to the local congregation, you are in fact a baptized Witness---therefore the above opening words.We don’t know if you may already have done inquiries in the congregation, about the in your letter named matter, and therefore we are sending the responsible elders a copy of our answer, so that they in any way are informed.

Your question came down to this if the Society during a certain period has been a member of the United Nations and how that can be viewed in the light of what has been published in our reading matter about that organization (for instance in chapter 34 of the Revelation-book). We would like to give the following reaction.

In "De Wachttoren" of October 1 1995 was on page 7 a paragraph titled "The Christian view on the United Nations". Inthere was said that Jehovah’s Witnesses view the UN just as they view other governments in the world, namely as a "superior authority".---Romans 13:1

There cannot be said "that the Society was a member of the UN". Though the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York has during a certain period been registerd at the UN as an NGO (‘non-governmental organization’). What formed for that the reason, and why is that now not anymore the case?

The purpose of being registered at named corporation with the ‘Department of Public Information’as a ‘non governmental organization’in 1991 was to have access to available research-material about health, ecology, and social problems at the library-facilities of the United Nations. The library was during many years before 1991 used, but in that year it became necessary to register as an NGO in order to continue the entry. The registrationpapers that were submitted to the United Nations and that the Society has in her archives, contain no declarations which are in conflict with our christian beliefs. On top of that are NGO’s informed that "association of NGO’s with the DPI doesn’t make that they are taken in to the system of the United Nations, nor does it

SXA 8 november 2001
    Page 2

give connected organizations or their staff any right or any sort of privilege or any exemption or special status".¹ Nevertheless contain the Criteria of Alliance of NGO’s ----at least in their latest version ---- terms which we cannot underwrite. When the Society realized this, the registration was immediately withdrawn. They were thankful that the matter was brought to their attention.

We trust it to have been of service to you with this information and send you our cordial greetings and wishes for Jehovah’s blessing,

your brothers,

WachttorenB.&T.Genootschap

C: body of elders,
    congregation Emmen-Angelso

¹ The English version of this citation is: "Association of NGOs with the DPI does not constitute their
    incorporation into the United Nations system, nor does it entitle associated organizations or their staff to any kind of privileges, immunities or special status~"

end of excerpt

This raises more questions. first of all they did not answer my question. I asked how it was posible that they could associate with the wild beast and at the same time tell the brothers and sisters you cannot associate with it. They admitted in this letter that they have had association. If I would associate myself then I would be disfellowshipped. secondly. they say they have copies of the application in their archives. I would like to see them. Third: They say that when they found out they could no longer underwrite the Criteria of Alliance then they withdrew themselves. Can anyone tell me what those changes were.
    fourth. (I will quit here, because I have many more questions) They say they didn't know they were wrong until someone made it clear to them. They admitted they were wrong. They didn't look to Jehovah for help but turned to the wild beast. And it took birdseed to show them the error of their ways. There are 2 possibilities: They are lying or they're very stupid. If they're lying then they cannot be God's servants, thus unable to lead the people into the new world. If they're stupid, which I don't think they are then they are incapable of leadership. So they weren't a member. They just associated with the wild beast. Tonight I shall go to the local whorehouse to associate with the whores. That doesn't make me a member. Baffling isn't even the word anymore to describe it.

• stocwach
    stocwach

This response is obviously the same one as the one that was dated Nov. 1st from Brooklyn as posted on a previous thread, that was distributed to all branches to be viewed by elders only.

No doubt here that is the case in this scenario.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Thanks for the translation. The UN details are as expected, but the preceding comments enquiring about your status in the congregation are interesting.

They seem rather concerned about what you might have discussed with your local elders, and your reply, especially the comments relating to the Society not being a "member" of the UN seemed designed more for the reassurance of your local elders than for you.

Quite possibly they might not have sent a copy of your original letter to your elders, so as not to raise any further questions. You might want to send a copy of your original letter to your local elders, enclosing copies of important related documents.

Your local elders are probably encouraged at this point to keep an eye on you so that you do not "spread doubts" in the congregation. If you are concerned about getting disfellowshipped, you might want to be careful who you enter into discussions with.

All in all, a very interesting letter, particularly the opening lines.

Path

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello avengers,

thanks for the post. Another

one for the file. Please can you post it also

in the main thread : " Major news UN/ ..." etc.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Been there
    Been there

Is the UN the only place with a good library in NY? If so then I could maybe understand a little.

Let me ask this. If I was a faithful JW and I lived in a town with no KH and the only church there was a Catholic Church. I am in want of some spirtitual information and go to this church. I am not a member and I don't agree with what they say but I just want what they have to offer spiritually. Do you think I would be df'd? Would they say I should have driven miles and miles to a KH, because it wouldn't matter if I wasn't a member of the church I should not be associated in ANYWAY what so ever for any reason.

The publications have never had any great Einstien information in them, that they couldn't have found on the local news or even their own library, or the public library (which only requires you return the books) and I bet NY has a kick butt public library.

They had no valid reason to even step foot in the UN anything! BUT THEY SURE CAN JUSTIFY CAN'T THEY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit