Ummm... what day is the Memorial?

by joenobody 5 Replies latest jw friends

• joenobody
    joenobody

Not going (obviously) but I need to know soon to plan something around family...

• Maddie
    Maddie

It's tomorrow 22nd March

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you mean the Watchtower's Black Sabbath?

It begins Saturday evening, March 22.

It's so demonic in nature that I hear even 'The Prince of Darkness' Ozzie has declined an invitation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I'm not going (at least not volitionally), either. I think they might as well forget the wastefest and just do Easter--that way, everyone knows when it's coming.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I'm really confused here.

The Jewish calendar is a lunisolar calendar, or "fixed lunar year," based on twelve lunar months of twenty-nine or thirty days, with an intercalary lunar month added seven times every nineteen years (once every two to three years) to synchronize the twelve lunar cycles with the slightly longer solar year. Each Jewish lunar month starts with the new moon; although originally the new lunar crescent had to be observed and certified by witnesses, the timing of the new moon is now mathematically determined.

Concurrently there is a weekly cycle of seven days, mirroring the seven day period of the Book of Genesis in which the world is created. The names for the days of the week, like those in the Creation story, are simply the day number within the week, with Shabbat being the seventh day. The Jewish day runs from sunset to the next sunset, and accordingly, standard times and time zones have no place in the Jewish calendar.

The twelve regular months are: Nisan (30 days), Iyar (29 days),Sivan (30 days), Tammuz (29 days), Av (30 days), Elul (29 days), Tishrei (30 days), Cheshvan (29 or 30 days), Kislev (29 or 30 days), Tevet (29 days), Shevat (30 days), and Adar (29 days). In the leap years an additional month, Adar I (30 days) is added after Shevat, and the regular Adar is referred to as "Adar II".

The first month of the year is Nisan. The 14th of Nisan is the start of the festival of Pesach, corresponding to the full moon of Nisan. Though it is not expressly prescribed in these terms, Pesach is a spring festival, so the 14th of Nisan is the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

hTherefore, from standpoint of determining the annual calendar cycle, the principal problem is that the lunar month/new moon of Nisan must occur before the spring equinox.

So, TODAY is the first FULL MOON after venal equinox ... shouldn't the Memorial be TONIGHT? HELP!!!

• One true Jesus Freak
    One true Jesus Freak

Have you thought of what you are going to do (tomorrow?) I really hope my family does not go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit