Just curious

by JimmyPage 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Some registered nurses are Jehovah's Witnesses. How do they handle it when a doctor orders a blood transfusion on their patient?

• myababes
    myababes

I am a nurse and was one for the last few years as a witness.

The issue of a blood transfusion was never a problem for me as I always thought that I was not the one taking the blood or hadn't prescribed it. The patients I looked after had a right to their decision as much as I had and I was just carrying out another form of treatment.

Even now though I have not been going for 8 years or so I still don't know whether I could accept a transfusion or not, Whether that is my squeamishness or because it has been ingrained so deeply or not am not sure.

Anyone else have these thoughts?

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I'm a nurse, and I would definitely have a blood transfusion if needed. I've seen them save plenty of lives.

BUT I've also started donating blood since leaving the JWs, and noticed that often it's the "down and out" who donate blood or plasma for money. It makes me "squeamish" to think that maybe the guy who is donating the plasma may have lied on his paperwork regarding questions about unprotected sex, needle use, etc.

I know other JW nurses don't "spike the blood" (put the tubing into the blood bag and attach it to the patient), but they would do everything else around it. (monitor vital signs while blood being infused, etc.) Other nurses on the floor would spike the blood for them. They would work it out in their interview process before accepting the job.

• real one
    real one

i plan on storing my own blood some day in case i need it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit