Bear Stearns OUCH!

by 5thGeneration 5 Replies latest jw friends

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I could have easily put half my worth into Bear Stearns 6 months ago. YIKES!

BasicChartsNewsBullBoardsFinancialsOptionsAnalysis
    BEAR STEARNS COMPANIES (BSC:NYSE)Add BSC to my portfolio
    BSC: PriceChange% ChangeVolume Day High / Low52Wk High / Low
    -25.19-83.97% 166,719,5395.5 / 2.84159.36 / 2.84
    Prev CloseOpenBid / Ask (Size)52 Week Chart
    Advanced Charting - Java Chart - Intraday - View History
    30 3.17 Available only in Real-time, sign up now!

View History
    Last TradedTransaction VolumeSentiment Stockscore/Rating Learn More
    03-17-2008 16:00:21 EST 138,20028
    IndustryShares OutstandingMarket Cap
    FINANCIAL SERVICES118,090,675568,016,147
    P / E RatioEPSTrade Now Edit
    19.71.52CIBC Investor's Edge
    DividendDividend DateYield
    1.28JAN 25, 20084.27
    </form>
    Quotes and charts delayed at least 20 minutes for NYSE/AMEX, 15 minutes for other exchanges.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

How do you think I feel, I work at Lehman and they're saying that they're next!! They closed today at $20 per share today, I'm contract though, not on the payroll, but still I'm supposed to be back in the office on Wednesday, today's Monday evening, so let's see if I still have an assignment on Wednesday morning ! ! !

• Dino
    Dino

What a bloodbath!

Traders were shaking their heads last Friday and wouldnt jump in at $30 a share. My God, this stock was trading well above $100 a share just a few weeks earlier.

However, no one expected a burial instead of a buyout on Sunday. Jamie Dimon will add several more billions to his net worth because of this gift from the Fed.

To describe JP Morgan's buyout as a fire sale is the biggest understatement of the year. Bear Stearn's building in New York is worth at least a cap of $8-$9 a share.

I'm shaking my head as the Fed could have backed the Fannies and Freddies instead of consolidating this huge wealth with Morgan/Chase.

But I suppose the memory on Wall Street goes back a long way back as Bear Stearns wouldnt help out LTCM to preserve their own liquidity so I think this is payback somehow.

ShirleyW, here's hoping Lehman doesnt go the way of the DoDo bird. Just from my point of view, I think the Fed will pull out a different tool out of their box for you guys and good luck!

Dino

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Thanks Dino !

There's an article on Bloomberg saying it's not that bad for Lehman, however, i kinda know the guy who wrote the article, when I was in their Corp Communications dept. he and my boss were/are very close, so don;t know if it was out of his "love for Ms. Burns" or if his article is the real deal.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I watched the CEO of Bear Stearns on television just 2 days before they crashed and he looked calmly into the camera and lied his freakin face off about how solid they were doing. No problems there he said, all rumours. If the CEO of any of these investment houses walk away with a mega bonus, then I think people better start a major revolt. sammieswife.

• Dino
    Dino

Hello again Shirley! It was a great day for Lehman. Their shares soared almost 50%. Here's hoping you ride the wave.

sammieswife, their payoff happened in January of '08 when BILLIONS were paid out in bonuses. The Fed prevented bankruptcy of Bear Stearns and enabled these scoundrels to keep their homes in the Hamptons and Aston Martins. If they were to go bankrupt, all of that money would have to go back.

The Fed keeps the patient as sick as possible without letting it die.

Dino

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit