What Did The Witnesses and Christian Science Have In Common ?

by AlphaOmega 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I bought a book entitled "Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896" by Mary Baker Eddy.

I was surprised to see the "Cross and Crown" logo on the cover.

alt

It is almost identical to the logo that the Watchtower used in the early days :

alt

I didn't realise that this was a common Christian symbol in use at the time, I just thought I'd share it.

• kwr
    kwr

Mary Baker Eddy founded CHRISTIAN SCIENCE not Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard founded Scientology. FYI.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

(you can edit the title of your thread)

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Mary Baker Eddy founded CHRISTIAN SCIENCE not Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard founded Scientology. FYI.

oops... edited. Thanks... that's what I get for rushing.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

The cross and crown was quite a popular symbol used by many different Christian groups. It was even used by the freemasons if I'm not mistaken.

• ninja
    ninja

Her first husband was a Mason named George Washington Glover, and thereafter membership in the Masonic Order was the one single “outside” affiliation that was allowed to church members by Mrs. Eddy....http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/Eddy,%20Mary%20Morse%20Baker.html

• choosing life
    choosing life

A lot of the things the watchtower used and did have to be seen in the light of the times they were produced. They are not so very different from the world as they like to think.

• Maddie
    Maddie

They are both cults.

Maddie

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

They both have fairly strange ideas about medical treatment.

Edited to add: Fiction created by two loonies with "experiences" of the "divine." It was all in their minds, not in the real world. Fiction. Fiction that hoodwinked a few millions of the world's population. escapist fiction of the lowest order. Crap, I'm telling you, crap.

• badboy
    badboy

interestingly the editor of the golden age/wt SAID HE WAS POSSESSED BY DEMONS JUST LIKE FOUNDER OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit