Anyone Familiar With Melanoma Treatment? I Have Questions.

by Justitia Themis 2 Replies latest social physical

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

My daughter has had two excisions. In both, the cells were severely dysplastic (spelling?). They are so deformed, they are unable to say she has malignant melanoma. Her doctor told her that legally, she can't say she has malignant melanoma, but she has malignant melanoma.

Does she have to treat with her dermatologist until she gets the malignant diagnosis, or can she see an oncologist now?

• exwitless
    exwitless

I'll try to help you with your question if I can. (My disclaimer: I'm a dermatology nurse. However, your doctor's advice supercedes anything I or anyone else says here.)

Dysplastic moles are basically moles that show an abnormal cell arrangement microscopically. They are generally classified as mild, moderate, or severe. They are not considered pre-melanoma or a skin cancer. However, anyone with dysplastic moles is at higher risk of developing melanoma in general, anywhere on his/her body, compared to someone without dysplastic moles.

Because your daughter's moles were severely dysplastic, the doctor may prefer to treat as though they were melanoma as a precaution. Generally, the treatment for dysplastic moles and very early superficial melanoma is to make sure the entire lesion was completely excised with a standard margin of normal skin. When that's done, the patient must continue to follow up for routine skin exams to monitor for any changes in other moles, and they must also watch on their own between visits. They must also make changes to avoid unprotected sun exposure. That means DAILY sunscreen, reapply often when outdoors, and ABSOLUTELY NO TANNING BEDS!!!!!

There usually is not a need to see an oncologist for dysplastic moles. However, the doctor should be giving your daughter all of this education and specific instructions for her follow up care. If your daughter is not clear about her condition or what she should be doing, she needs to go back to the doctor and ask these questions. Knowlege is power.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Thank you Ex. I appreciate your taking the time to post and your perspective. Her doctor told her she is sure she has melanoma; she has excisions scheduled out until April since new areas are developing so rapidly. As I mentioned, moles are re-appearing on areas that were excised just weeks ago. They are trying to get cells that are young enough to be identified as cancerous. But again, CAN she see an oncologist without the official lable of melanoma?

It appears from everything I have read on Melanoma discussion boards that most fatalities occur from passive, excise-and-watch protocols. Many of these people attended their every 90 day appointments very dutifully, only to be told a few years later that their body was racked with cancer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit