Lock bumping

by DJK 7 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

I just heard of this and tried it on my doors. It worked with a small rubber grommet slid down the teeth of the key.

This is getting over the internet and that has raised my concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM

• Scully
    Scully

I had seen something like this posted on YouTube about a year ago - apparently they removed the video because a lot of people complained that the video demonstrated how lock bumping works and should not be made available for the criminal element to exploit.

But that's one reason why we also have a deadbolt that cannot unlock from outside the house.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Hmm I had never heard of this before. Does it work on car locks or is it just houses that are susceptable.

Scully - if you cant unlock the deadbolt from outside that wouldn't provide extra security if you were outside the hosue right? Just better security when you were inside?

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

They make "bump proof" deadbolts, but they are very expensive. The ones I saw run about $120-$230 per lockset. They use a special proprietary u-shaped key. The key can only be duplicated at an authorized store that has a special machine to make the duplicate.

• DJK
    DJK

Apparently the subject isnt new.

There are a lot of videos available for it now. I received one in an e-mail today that I couldn't paste here and it shows how its done with greater detail. I was able to open my doors without making special cuts on the key blank.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Very interesting story, thanks for posting this.You know, the locksmith in this video made a very pertinent comment.He said something to the effect of : "The bad guys are going to find out what to do, so why not inform the public ? " Since it concerns safety this immediately made think of the Society wanting to keep information from the congregation regarding a child molester in their midst.They seem to oddly enough think that they're "protecting" people by not informing the cong., that they don't "need" to know, or that it would cause "divisons", "panic", a damaged reputation or "slander".Really though, they just want to protect their butts and don't want to do anything about it.Sooner or later though their's always someone who feels the public needs to know and spills the beans.It always makes you think:"Why didn't we hear about this earlier ?" Just thought it was an interesting connection...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

That's pretty concerning!

• WHO
    WHO

I'm a security professional and licensed locksmith. I've 'bumped' cylinders (locks) and have taught the technique to other locksmiths. It absolutely *does* work on pin tumbler locks cylinders. Someone in this thread asked whether or not bumping works on automotive locks. Some yes, some no, but bumping's not the easiest way to swipe autos anyway, so carjackers don't normally depend on bumping to take what's yours. There are other, easier means of entry which completely bypass the locks. Most homesteads are far 'softer' targets to forced entry than most autos are, so the low-life vermin population who want to steal your belongings depend upon force and stealth rather than any brains or skill to break into your house.

You can buy the most bang for your buck by requesting a premise survey from your local police department. They'd probably rather spend a few minutes giving you preemptive security advice than writing up your burglary report after the fact. If that's not an option, hire a local locksmith to perform a premise survey for you. In most cases a given security budget would be better spent on hardware other than new locks. Once the lock itself becomes the weakest link in your security, then it becomes the most economical area for improvement.

Yes, there are some locks which operate in such a way as to render them immune to "bumping," and those are relatively expensive. They also deserve to be surrounded in a similarly expensive and robust lockset and installed/adjusted by a locksmith, otherwise you're wasting your money. A much less expensive route would be to use a restricted keyway, available from one of your local lockies. I'd be happy to recommend a locksmith local to anyone if you'd like to PM me and tell which city or cities you're near.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit