DT

I just received this email update from the JW media site:

"Police officers and local officials of Samarkand, Uzbekistan, raided the
    homes of Jehovah's Witnesses and took 18 congregation members to the
    police station. A young woman, 17 years old, was stripped and fondled by
    an intoxicated police officer. All were verbally abused and threatened
    with physical assault."

http://www.jw-media.org/index.html

If their allegations are true, then it is appropriate for them to bring this to the media's attention. However, I can't help pointing out the irony that they go to great lengths to cover up abuse of minors when their own members are responsible.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A young woman, 17 years old, was stripped and fondled by an intoxicated police officer.

I'll bet the elders were GREEN with envy!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Geez! They are desperate if they have to ferret out stories about Uzbekistan to find persecution......Where?

Assault of young women would be going on hourly in police stations next door to the the publishing company in Brooklyn and for less reason than being part of a banned religion.

A but these are WORLDLY teenagers. god ordained fodder for rape and violence

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

they go to great lengths to cover up abuse of minors when their own members are responsible.

Ironic, indeed. Like -- where's the second witness on that fondling abuse? The WT may be taking a news report at face value with no corroboration needed.

Len

• DT
    DT
    where's the second witness on that fondling abuse? The WT may be taking a news report at face value with no corroboration needed.

Good point. It might be interesting to give them a call and ask if they have two or more witnesses for their accusations.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What, 17? That is too old for the hounders! I thought they preferred children, preferably below the age of 11.

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Yes I can see the irony of it but lets not hatred for the borg make light of this account. Instead of just debating the rights and wrongs of the wt and wether there were 2 witnesses to this, how about a bit of balance and some respect for the victim/s and condemnation for this act of human rights violation.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hear Hear...beginnersmind. The abuse of a young girl is wrong wrong and should not be made light of. (Poor kid, it is not her falt )

However, this should not be presented as "persecution" - at least not against J W only..It is the way they do things over there. All political prisoners suffer human rights abuses

http://www.amnesty.org/en/region/europe-and-central-asia/eurasia/uzbekistan

• DT
    DT
    how about a bit of balance and some respect for the victim/s and condemnation for this act of human rights violation.

These types of human rights violations should be condemned. I also feel sympathy for the victims. However, look at the context. I believe it is entirely appropriate to point out the hypocrisy of an organisation that covers up cases of abuse, but will loudly advertise a case like this to the media when they think it will advance their goals. They have a right to protest these kinds of abuses and we have a right to protest the more serious abuses that occur in their organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit