can you help me find an Absurd Picture from my Young People Ask Past?

by whitedeer 9 Replies latest jw friends

• whitedeer
    whitedeer

there are so many aspects to the sweet JW lifestyle that i find laughable, but one of the most infuriating/embarassing/hysterically funny is the many "glorious and rich illustrations" created for our precious publications. how many sundays did i sit and bite my finger when a congregation of 70 people would pick apart a badly painted scene of ancient israel and make endless comments about every banal detail? each trying to "learn" a more special aspect to the sandal a priest is wearing or a censor of incense and its greater significance. aahhh! but i digress... one of the greatest articles with the MOST crazy pictures was Young People Ask. I believe it was in this article that we had numerous warnings about Heavy Metal Music!!! and one article in particular featured an embarassingly staged photo shoot of a metal band called.... the Depressions!! that was a running joke with every JW friend i've ever had for years after. i'd like to find that picture again but have no idea how to look for it. does anyone have the watchtower library or a copy of it or something? that would be awesome!!

• DJK
    DJK

Welcome to the forum whitedeer.

There are a few who may have what your looking for.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

okay, I gotta see this!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'd love to see that.

Also, the two people posing in the photo in a "tattoo" article -- supposedly looking "cool" in a worldly sense -- are hilariously dorky. That one gets me LMAO whenever I see it.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Welcome to the forum.

Is this the picture ?

alt

I've uploaded a much better quality version of it here : http://i28.tinypic.com/11r4ubl.jpg

It is from Awake 8th June 1993

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Nowadays, the name of that group would be "The Emos" or "Cutter Crew"

• fokyc
    fokyc

Did you realize they actually existed, I thought WTBTS writing dept. made them up!

http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/depressions.htm

The Depressions. They had the punky name, punky image and looks.

They had the sound and they had the backing. So what went wrong?

fokyc

• dinah
    dinah

whitedeer,

Isn't it funny how those little things stay in your memory? Thankfully, I didn't read a single "Young People Ask" article during the 90's. I've been reading them again lately because mom brings them to me. They are still hokey and SO outta touch with reality.

Didn't it really frustrate you the way they came down on music constantly?? They would name a bunch of songs from bands they know nothing about and pronounce them "dangerous". It used to drive me crazy, probably because they always picked on my favorites.

Welcome to the board!! Looks like you'll fit right in.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I don't think that's the same "Depressions" that are portrayed in the WT magazine. The society probably made them up and ended up with a coincidence. Also, I can't find "The Depressions" on youtube.

BTW, what's that other one - the CD? The one that looks like it says "GOMGO".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That kid's just doing that to please mom. But what she doesn't know, is that he has already ripped all that music to his computer and iPod. Rock on!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit