Apostasy?

by Marilyn 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Has the label apostasy been stretched by the WTS to fit a multitude of sins in recent years or am I just imagining it? ARen't people either disfellowshipped for adultery, fornication, or apostasy now days? Or is conduct unbefitting a christian still in vogue?

Marilyn

• Richie
    Richie

I believe that the Society is more vigilant nowadays in terming apostasy to include anything which is not in line with the thinking pattern of the Borg. An apostate would be someone who disagrees with the teachings, even to a small degree, or one who pushes ahead and is critical, even slightly... As little as conversing with disfellowshipped persons, even though they may be your family members, but they draw the line if you have family living at home and one is d'fd. There are many fine lines which the WT uses to determine whether you are in effect treading on apostate grounds, but the insidious thing is that the elders can arbitrarily decide if you have apostate leanings or not... All in the freedom of having an open mind and searching for answers from the bible which the WT cannot give with clarity all the time. Of course the internet is something to stay away from, except if you need it for business and for emailing or just looking up the watchtower.org website...
    I remember 2 years ago where some elders had preconceived ideas of even having internet at home: they exclaimed ignorantly that they would never get a computer or use the internet at all, but saying indirectly that also others in the congregation should think twice before getting a computer. How dumb and empty-headed on their part, but then again they are following the line of the WT directives like zombies....
    Since Raymond Franz left the Borg, the WT gradually and systematically found ways to bind heavier loads on the brothers, starting with disassociating yourself where this is now viewed as the same as disfellowshipping... With apostasy it is worse nowadays, it's like the McCarthyism of the 50's which is now enforced by the WT in full force (weeding out all the undesirables). Of course they are afraid that their flock might discover all the heavy irregularities going on, especially when they would search the internet for information (which is of course a very smart thing to do!)
    It's funny, but it is worse to be d'fd for apostasy than it is for stealing, smoking or adultery and the like - nowadays, even disassociating yourself is viewed similar to being an apostate, because in their view you take the law in your own hand and decide for yourself to want to break away. The reason for that is usually an apostate reason in THEIR eyes! I also have a feeling that there are a lot of younger less experienced elders, who are not "seasoned" yet to show enough compassion where sometimes they want to follow the law by the book, making them somewhat more agressive than the older elders, and make hastier decisions about weighter problems in the congregation, all to the detriment of honest-hearted individuals...

Take care...

:*) Richie

• evilchicken
    evilchicken

hey Merilyn,

Apostacy has come to the for frount because for the first time many people are questioning the teachings of the WT. The inconsistencies can no longer be ignored.
    The major difference being, questioning the Society can give you the label Apostate. We were taught to conform in every way. In the WT system one learns to become a zoombie-easy to spot those outta line.
    Funny thing is how many people became apostates because they defied the Truth of the Bible. I thought the Society was supposed to be secondary to Jehovah.

Kind of reminds me of the time I was in the hen house. The fox said trust me. I know where you can find some really juicey worms, but you got to go with me. All the while he was showing his sharp teeth. Ignoring this, several hens followed him...but before they went the asked me why I was so stupid and didnt go along with them. They balked at me saying I was just trying to be a trouble maker. Being smug off they went. Well guess what they never returned. Funny thing is the smart ol fox returned. Others followed, ignoring what had happened to the first group. Then one day some hens in the house took notice of what I said, so when the fox came back they said no way. You have been exposed for what you really are.The fox left hungry that day!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

These days if you don't like an elder's wife's cooking you're and apostate....there really is no defined rules for apostacy, which makes these people all the more dangerous around the weaker minded people, especially those with suicidal tendencies and those who may have no other friends and family.

It's a shame how they can chain a person to religion and expect them to agree with whatever the 'society' says {or an interpretaion of what they say}.

ashi

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Well in MY day (geez I'm getting old!) we knew of some people who'd been Witnesses and had later gone over to another religion. That was rare and very weird to us. They were called apostate and it was virtually unheard of - this was the early 70's. Joining another religion after Jehovah's Witnesses was usually what was referred to as apostate.

I think my husband and I were apostate in the true sense of the word, but I don't think the elders really appreciated that. We didn't know of, or read "apostate" literature. We just got weak in the *truth* and eventually we stopped believing in God. I don't think they would have disfellowshipped us for apostasy if it hadn't been for Ray Franz et al. We left in 1979 and they came after us in 1981!

Since then there has been a derth of disfellowshippings for apostasy - I'd love to know the percentage increase. There'd be quite a spike on a graph I should think.

Marilyn

• ISP
    ISP

Worse thing IMO re apostasy...is many have taken a conscientious stand, based on bible principles but nevertheless are/were considered apostate.

For example in the first world war, a number left because of the WTS's stand on neutrality or lack of it. Likewise, some left after the '75 debacle...the 1995 generation change and more recently the UN fiasco. What the WTS have to realise is that a great number of us were drawn to the WTS because of our interest in truth, accuracy in teaching etc. We will also leave if we see the same things flouted. IMO opinion the stand on truth comes before the departure from the WTS..and hence I do not call myself apostate. Although it doesn't bother me either way! I am glad to be out! HaHa!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit