Thorny Memorial Invite

by TD 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

I got mine Saturday and the first thing that caught my eye was the crown of thorns.

Does anybody remember when the JW's used to insist that the crown of thorns was intended to humiliate, but not inflict pain and that the Catholic church had it all wrong when they showed the thorns piercing flesh?

I guess times are changing...

• blondie
    blondie
    *** w99 3/15 p. 6 The Last Day of Jesus’ Human Life ***"What bad thing did this man do?" asks Pilate again. "I found nothing deserving of death in him; I will therefore chastise and release him." (Luke 23:22) So he has Jesus scourged with a multithonged whip that rips painfully into Jesus’ back. Then the troops press a crown of thorns onto his head. They mock him and hit him with a sturdy reed, pushing the crown of thorns deeper into his scalp. Through all the indescribable pain and abuse, Jesus maintains outstanding dignity and strength.

They don't seem to teach that now. It is not on the WT CD so must be pre-1950.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I saw the cover of the Memorial Invite, it does look kind of Catholic.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

They're trying to establish themselves as a Christian church because in reality, nobody knows that they claim to be Christian.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Oh yeah, the fuzzy Jesus! His beard looks so fine and silky, just like the fur on a baby kitten!

• JK666
    JK666

JW's are mainstreaming their public image, to appeal to normal people. Then the GB puts the real crap in the private WT.

Jesus might be wearing the crown of thorns, but the religion is more like glass shards up my rectum.

JK

• TD
    TD

Blondie said:

They don't seem to teach that now. It is not on the WT CD so must be pre-1950.

Yes you're right of course. The idea of the mock crown being no more injurious physically than the scarlet robe is Rutherford era at least. (Still trying to find where I read it originally.) But even well into the 60's and 70's, depictions of Jesus' trial in JW publications showed the crown of thorns as a fuzzy wreath or garland about Jesus' head. --No visible thorns and not a drop of blood.

• *lost*
    *lost*

searching for more info on Crown of Thorns.

www.sharefaith.com states the following.

Said to be made from the branches of a Jujube tree, with thorns measuring an inch long, or more. Each blow to the head, repeatedly drove the thorns into his flesh with excruciating pain.

Jesus endured hours of torture, Roman Style.

Flogged - by the cat-o-nine tails

Blinded

Beaten

Spit on

Struck in the face

Lacerated - on nearly every part of his body.

the Prophet Isaiah spoke well when he declared that

'' his face was so disfigured he seemed hardly human, and from his appearence one would scarecely know he was a man''..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit