thinking of sponsoring a child....

by still_in74 8 Replies latest jw friends

• still_in74
    still_in74

So I was watching "world view" or something like that last night and I was really moved by the what the presenter was saying. He was a christian, and actively helping children all over the world.
    He said some things that really caught my attention because they were things I have been thinking a lot about lately.

Being so lost spiritually lately I have often found myself wondering why I am even here. What is the purpose of my life? And what really freaks me out is - Who on this earth will care if I live or die?This one particularily gets me as if I were to leave the org. I would lose all my "friends" and much of my family.

So anyway, this speaker was quoting his pastor asking if we want "titles or testimony"..... And how one day we are going to die, and be thrown in the ground and what do we want at our funeral - a gravestone with all our titles or people surrounding our coffin telling of how we made a difference in their lives? About how they are better for having known us.

I think about James 1:27 -
    Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Matt 25:34-40 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

These scriptures have had a lot of meaning to me lately since "going in service" is not the end all and be all to being a christian anymore. It really struck a chord with me and I feel like I have a responsibilty to help those in need.

Has anyone else here sponsored a child? What would be a good org. to use? i dont want to see my donations get eaten up by meaningless administration or make bureaucracies rich.

• still_in74
    still_in74

BTTT

I hate to bump my own post but I was really hoping to have some comments on this one...

Thanks,

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Hi still_in: Considering the impact one makes to a child or family the cost to us is very small, usually around $34 a month. Here's just a few organizations.

Samaritin's Purse: http://www.samaritanspurse.org/ 90% goes to ministry 10% to administration

Compassion: http://www.compassion.com/default.htm 80% of donations go to ministry. I sponser a young girl from Ethopia through this org.

World Vision: http://www.worldvision.org/ 86% goes to ministry

• chikikie
    chikikie

I thought about at one time or another, but then I think about or the children that are in need in our own community, and then i think I might like the idea of fostering, may do that when i am in my 40s.

Read your earlier post 'still_in' and did you come clean to your wife about your desire to leave? Or are you still living a lie-ish. Im about to have my 32nd birthday. So yourin my peer group.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I think that is an honorable choice. All I can suggest is to check out the charity and make sure it gives most if not all the money you donate tot he kid.....

• still_in74
    still_in74

Thanks for your comments - Guestwithquestions - thanks for the stats. This is the kind of info I looking for. How has your sponsoring experience been?

Read your earlier post 'still_in' and did you come clean to your wife about your desire to leave? Or are you still living a lie-ish.

still living a lie.
    getting more and more difficult. I am also getting more and more daring with my WTS comments to the bro's and sis's. Who knows if I will get questioned soon, maybe that would be a good thing?
    Thanks for asking.

Still...........

• chickpea
    chickpea

another way to make an impact is to participate in microloans

kiva.org was my choice.... my current loan is helping a woman in azherbaijan, mother of 6, with her farming enterprise.....

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

still_in: It's been a good experience for me and I think for my sponsered child. She's lucky in that she still lives with her parents and brother. We do correspond and exchange photos. I forgot to mention Watoto. My church is connected with this one. Couldn't find the % that goes to the children though. I saw their Childrens Choir twice. They are worth seeing. Here's some links.

Watoto home page: http://www.watoto.com/index.php

Watoto Children's Choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLCcl8dd0o&feature=related as you can they are very lively.

African Lullaby: they show this video during their concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaX5jb_oWH0&feature=related

chikikie: I agree that there are a lot of needy children in North America. I think a lot of us can do both. Even helping out in a soup kitchen or donating food. Lots of community org and churches collect donated food. After raising two of my own I don't think I have the patience and strength to do it anymore. I commend anyone for doing it. It is so needed. My daughter is a leader of a youth group at our church. A lot of the children come from broken homes and it's the only place some of them experience people caring about them, and they have lots of fun.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I sponsor a child through Compassion (via TearFund in the UK) Very little goes in admin - the girl I sponsor writes regularly and I know she is getting a good education. Also, any surplus money is used to help the girl's community - providing medical facilities, clean water etc, none is left sitting idle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit