Does anybody like "Smash Lab" on Discovery Channel?

by AlmostAtheist 4 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

When I first saw the previews, I thought, "Hey, another Mythbusters!" I don't mind a copy as long as it's good, so I was down with it. My son said the same thing, though he was a little put-off by the obvious "copy cat" aspect.

Then we both watched the show. We both hated it. It's hard to articulate just why. It felt like they were all playing "experiment". Which is kind of what Mythbusters does, but they seem to do more "playful experimenting" than simply playing AT experimenting.

For fun, I google'd "smash lab love" and "smash lab hate". The "hate" one produced many results like "I hate smash lab". The "love" one produced results that said, "I hate smash lab, but I love mythbusters". :-)

A train-wreck of a show, dedicating to wrecking trains. Gotta love the irony.

Dave

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I watched the first one, and thought it might as well be an infomercial for rhinoliner. I didn't like it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I agree one hundred percent!

BTW, the hands-down best thread on the subject is the one started by the Vice President of the Discovery Channel:

http://blogs.discovery.com/smash_lab/2008/01/an-open-letter.html

The comments are quite great and analytical, better than just saying "I hate it".

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Good thread, Leo -- thanks for that link! I'll be amazed if this show doesn't just quietly vanish soon.

Dave

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

They spend a metric tonne on the 'tests' they do. I have gotten to the point where I will TIVO it and fast forward right to the end. They have an ass load of absolutely AWESOME concepts and ideas. If they get a new cast it could be up there with mythbusters. I love the concept of the show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit