Question about Pantheism or panentheism.

by darkuncle29 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

These are not the same thing right? Is the difference just a nuance of language? I may be getting them mutually confused.

Just for the sake of conversational understanding, could I oversimplify and say that "Pantheism is 'all things are god', 'the universe is god'? Wheras Panentheism, again to make an almost absurd oversimplification, the universe/multiverse is contained within god.

First off, I'd like to know if I have that understanding correct. Are there other simple ways that can be used to describe these beliefs (just so I can understand them)

For those who have these beliefs, what is the personal significance, what does it mean to you.

Personally, I am in my current belief system version 3.60. When I was a JW that was version 2.0 Version 1.0-? never had a chance as I was raised in the JW from age 7-8.

My current beliefs are Taoist, but my understnading of that philisophical framework is also changing over time. I want to understand the two mentioned P???theisms to plumb the depths of my own way.

• glenster
    glenster

Here are a few articles that explain that a bit. The third one says tradi-
    tional Chinese Taoism is polytheistic.:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

These are not the same thing right? Is the difference just a nuance of language? I may be getting them mutually confused.

Just for the sake of conversational understanding, could I oversimplify and say that "Pantheism is 'all things are god', 'the universe is god'? Wheras Panentheism, again to make an almost absurd oversimplification, the universe/multiverse is contained within god.

First off, I'd like to know if I have that understanding correct. Are there other simple ways that can be used to describe these beliefs (just so I can understand them)

For those who have these beliefs, what is the personal significance, what does it mean to you.

Personally, I am in my current belief system version 3.60. When I was a JW that was version 2.0 Version 1.0-? never had a chance as I was raised in the JW from age 7-8.

My current beliefs are Taoist, but my understnading of that philisophical framework is also changing over time. I want to understand the two mentioned P???theisms to plumb the depths of my own way.

PanENtheism states that all the component parts of creation are within God, but that God is more than the sum of the component parts, whereas many pantheists believe that all "are God".

I have known Pantheists to pray to anything (fish, trees, bricks) but a panENtheist will only pray/connect with the greater "mind" in which all is contained. I am (currently ) a Panentheist, or so I was told after explaining my views to a Christian study group. Most looked disgusted but a couple (including the tutor) explained that they felt the same way and started quoting scripture that seemed to suggest it (In Him we live move and have our being etc etc). Philip Clayton has written some Panentheist bits and pieces, as has Michael Fox - they may be worth a look.
  • Satanus
    Satanus

I think they explained the difference between the two pans. You know, i never studied about pantheism, and then decided that that was what i wanted to be. It just so happens to fall into what they call pantheism/gnosticism, and maybe bits of one or two other isms. People like to define their own classifications, and that of others :)

S

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    I think they explained the difference between the two pans. You know, i never studied about pantheism, and then decided that that was what i wanted to be.

Exactly.

First comes the experience... then maybe some attempt to classify it - but classification isn't necessary really in my mind.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Thanks you guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit