Spook Vs. Jcanon on the Arguments From Evil

by Spook 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spook
    Spook

Jcannon has agreed to a discussion on the philosophical arguments from evil. I will be advancing the proposition that the presence of the current level of suffering in the world constitutes strong evidence that the Christian God (hereafter referred to as God) does not exist. Jcannon will be negating the proposition.

The original thread can be found here: DUALISM: Good vs Evil. Was Satan/Evil a necessary creation?

I will continue from Jcanon's rejoinder.

Hi Spook! (You don't mind if I call you "Spook" do you?)

That's fine, thanks. I will not be speaking in the personal voice for most of this argument except as needed. Please take no offense when I refer to your remarks in the third person.

First, I'll again assert that at some level an opinion is an opinion and is valid by definition if not directly contradicting fact.

It's difficult to here infer from Jcanon's choice in words just what exactly his definition of opionions/ facts are. Since this is the evidential argument from evil which I am advancing as opposed to the logical argument from evil it is necessary to use words rigorously.

Facts: Facts are datum used in reference to constitute evidence for and against a position.

Opinion: Opinions are usually understood as an expression of personal inclination towards a belief with some degree of evidence.

I take Jcannon's remark on "...an opinion is an opinion..." to imply that the proposition under discussion is perhaps unanswerable. In affirming the claim I am making I support that this is not the case. One could infer from my statement that I am claiming based on the evidence under discussion it is irrational to conclude that God exists and rational to conclude he does not exist. If Jcanon is proposing solopsism, the denial of an external world off of which rational conclusions can be universally drawn, then our discussion will perhaps end prematurely. My position, to state in another way, is that the presence of our current level of suffering is incompatible with God as traditionally described (Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Eternal, Unchanging, Omnibenevolent). Finally, to put it another way given that it is very important to God, if he exists, that there not be a great amount of suffering, we can infer that because there is so much suffering we can rationally conclude God does not exist.

I believe that by merely creating "free will" that it would serve the benevolent "big picture" of the omnipotent God.

By using the Free Will Defense (FWD hereafter), Jcannon needs to provide a clear definition of the term as he means it. Questions that come to my mind are as follows:

1. How is FW distinguished from ordinary will?

2. What is FW free from? Please provide empirical evidence and textual support.

I will leave FWD temporarily, as Jcannon moves on to a version of the Higher Purpose Defense (HPD) or Unknown Purpose Defense (UPD):

That purpose is a higher quality of "happiness", which I perceive is not possible unless a person has exercised free will.

By identifying God's highest purpose Jcannon has tied his hands a bit into the HPD defense which narrows the scope from the UPD defense. Jcannon's argument returns again to encorporate FWD. As we have yet to receive a definition of FW I will leave this point as a highlight of Jcannons basic position. He can freely clarify the language if he likes in addition to replying to the above mentioned FW questions.

As an interim challenge I will insist on "happiness" as self reported happiness. In other words, an individual is always the final source of determining one's own happiness. I will not equivocate on the term happiness vs. true happiness. I will take the following to mean "greater or lesser" happiness unless Jcannon wishes to present an argument for happiness.

Only one is happiest once they KNOW that is also their choice.

I understand this to mean "Only conscious decisions can produce happiness. Subconscious decisions and coerced decision can not produce happiness." Please clarify if this is not your position.

So I think God needs to allow TIME for self discovery, so that we come to our own conclusion about what God already knows is probably best for us. But...that would imply some "collateral" discomfort issues, during this process. Thus I would suggest to you that BENEVOLENCE is not always directly connected with freedom from pain or suffering. Suffering can teach us things. Thus it is the END RESULT that would determine whether this God was benevolent or not. The end result would suggest that he is most benevolent, that is, toward those who serve him. Not so benevolent to "criminals" and "bad persons." Again, the issue is end result and time. God permits wickedness, even Satan, but not forever. Just long enough to accomplish the end result.

I would suggest you think and briefly clarify this position. You are proposing here that the ends justify the means for an all-knowing all-powerful being. Collateral damage is a contingency based on unknown or unalterable variables.

I'm curious to understand more precisely this point of view since you concluded God does not exist.

I am a positive atheist with respect to the Christian God in that I can prove (1) All definitions of God are internally incoherant or logically contradictory and therefore it is impossible that God exists, AND (2) Given the purported qualities of God the situation we would expect to occur in the world is not the case we find.

Of course, I know God does because I've seen and talked with him before, but that's not YOUR experience so your position is still valid.

I will not accept the personal anecdotal experience as evidence. If you would like to debate this separately we can debate the Arguments From Religious Confusion and the Argument Against Indistinguishables. In brief, I accept as a fact that you believe you have had these experiences. This belief I will take as a fact. We have the condition of equifinality in life, however. In that one datum (fact) can have other explanations. I will not further this argument if you do not bring this up again. To cling on to this you are affirm the position of "presuppositionalisim." Then we must discuss the burden of proof first.

As far as the "so much suffering" goes, I'll give you the quick overview on that. It was a CHOICE to just kill Satan right then and there in the Garden along with Adam and Eve and start OVER, with a new couple and be done with it. OR, feeling sorry for all of Adam's unborn children, that means YOU, since you are a DNA child of Adam and Eve, make an arrangement to save you. The decision was made to save YOU. Why deprive the universe of the wonder and grandeur of SPOOK! They idea that you would have been murdered by Satan was untenable.

This is a logical error of False Dichotomy. It also implies determinism. Furhtermore, given the qualities God is said to posess only events which match his highest purpose will occur. Finally, why indeed deprive the world of me? One of my greatest joys in life has been convincing people to self identify as atheists and convince them of the conclusions that Christianity is not true and also is not good.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Of course I believe God is man made, but you have the further burden of proving that this character Satan exists. I insist upon these being distinguished. I can not credit the existance of one supernatural entity to prove the existance of a second supernatural entity any more that I can credit the existance of Body Thetans to prove the existance of Xenu to a scientologist.

I will not address the rest of your post for later since it was getting too far ahead of unadressed presuppositions and definition conflicts.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Hello Spook. Thanks for sharing your philosophical views with me. Hope you don't mind if I compartmentalize a bit, but I'll address all your issues:

OPINION VS FACT:

It's difficult to here infer from Jcanon's choice in words just what exactly his definition of opionions/ facts are. .

This is meant in the most general way. That is, an opinion that completely contradicts apparent fact I wouldn't consider an opinion. Like if I tried to convince you a boy was a girl, when it is clear it was a boy. In that case the opinion I wouldn't consider "valid." But if you decide God is "wrong" for doing this or that, whereas I consider him justified, I don't discount your view, that opinion is valid from your perspective and I would respect that.

SUFFERING AS EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE OF GOD:

My position, to state in another way, is that the presence of our current level of suffering is incompatible with God as traditionally described (Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Eternal, Unchanging, Omnibenevolent).

I understand this position. But I think it begs the question not whether there is a god or not but whether he is as described. You know? What if suffering proves there is an Evil God who loves seeing people in pain?

Finally, to put it another way given that it is very important to God, if he exists, that there not be a great amount of suffering, we can infer that because there is so much suffering we can rationally conclude God does not exist.

I understand this position. But my counter would be that deciding on whether God was benevolent or not would determine whether or not he had a "good excuse" for allowing the temporary suffering. My position is that he has a good cause; that he felt it was necessary and unavoidable for a greater cause; that of "dedeeming" Adam's children, which was "expensive" but a price God was willing to pay.

"FREE WILL"

I believe that by merely creating "free will" that it would serve the benevolent "big picture" of the omnipotent God.

By using the Free Will Defense (FWD hereafter), Jcannon needs to provide a clear definition of the term as he means it. Questions that come to my mind are as follows:

1. How is FW distinguished from ordinary will?

My use of "free will" is limited here to that sense of feeling whatever is chosen is our personal resolved choice, whether one debates the degree of coertion or not. My philosophical reference more specifically might be expressed with this scenario:

Say you love cherry lollipops. You've done your chores and gotten your allowance and now you happily run to the store to buy a cherry lollipop. When you get to the store you see all kinds of choices of different flavors of lollipops. You've tried some of the others but your favorite is cherry. So you buy your favorite. At this point your CHOICE and your reality are one, and on this point you are considered sublimely HAPPY. The next day, you do the same thing, only they are out of cherry. You're a bit disappointed, but choose another. You're content, but not really HAPPY. The next day you go back again and all the lollipops are gone, except for one. You're forced to buy the last one, but guess what? It's cherry. So you're HAPPY. Now in the latter scenario, you may not have considered that you had a CHOICE, but you're still HAPPY. Why? Because you know what you want. Now it's possible, that the candy store owner could tell just by observing you and your other choices that you'd love cherry lollipops the best. Thus he could have put out one cherry lollipop out for you from the beginning and given you no other choice. Or upon seeing you approach for the first time, could have taken out a cherry lolipop and rang it up before you came to the counter. But wait. You're not that pleased. You didn't have a chance to make a choice. You probably figure the cherry lollipop is okay, but how do you know you might like apple or grape more? You're frustrated. Disappointed. You take the cherry lollipop and discover it is great! Fantastic. But you're still wondering if grape or apple might not be just as good or even BETTER! So now you're dealing with dilemma.

CONCLUSION: So, you can give the same person the same thing, but the experience is enhanced if in addition to that, that person feels it was his personal choice. There is an extra degree of happiness and contentment when we feel we had a chance to decide.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: I'll share this, against my better judgment, of something that happened to me when I was young that probably I never got over, and probably should talk to a psychiatrist about it, but it made a difference. My wonderful mother along with the local elementary school encouraged saving, so I think once a week I was given a quarter or 50 cents to save in my own savings account. I think at one point it amounted to about $18. I was in kindergarten. I guess I was happy about the money. But then one day my mother had taken that money, along with the savings of my older brother and bought a ping-pong table with it. I was completely devastated, I felt as though my mother robbed me. But I was also aware, that I would have gladly given the money to her had she asked first. So not only was I robbed but I didn't get the chance to be charitable. So it was like I got robbed twice.

This latter scenario I perceive to reflect the flip-side of the concept of choice. That is, when you don't ask permission for something that might be granted to you, it's like stealing, even though it might have been something given to you anyway.

So that's basically my angle here as far as God and happiness is concerned. The additional sense of happiness we get when we are given a chance to experience what we perceive to be the exercise of our free will, or when someone respects us enough to ask permission. That FEELING is totally independent of the actual things involved: money you would have gladly given had asked, or something that was chosen for you though you might have made that choice yourself.

2. What is FW free from? Please provide empirical evidence and textual support.

It is free of NON-CHOICE. Say God's choice for man: Obey and live. Disobey and Die. That's not the same as god forcing you to obey. You are FREE to choose. It's like a guard telling you: Get in the cell or I'll shoot you. You have a choice to get in the cell or get shot. But that's not the same as the guard calling over his buddy and them forcing you into the cell "against your WILL."

As an interim challenge I will insist on "happiness" as self reported happiness. In other words, an individual is always the final source of determining one's own happiness. I will not equivocate on the term happiness vs. true happiness. I will take the following to mean "greater or lesser" happiness unless Jcannon wishes to present an argument for happiness.

Perfect. That is in line with my above argument. The self-sense of happiness.

Exactly! I agree! Absolutely.

I understand this to mean "Only conscious decisions can produce happiness. Subconscious decisions and coerced decision can not produce happiness." Please clarify if this is not your position.

I agree except this is too limiting. I believe happiness occurs sometimes spontaneously apart for scenarios of choice scenarios. But where someone is forced to do something "against their will", usually this does not bring happiness. So I agree.

That brings us to God's choice: Obey or die. Some people might feel coerced to obey to avoid death, so they might not be that happy about that choice. That's a given. But what if someone was on death row, set to be killed a noon tomorrow? While in prison he discovered he loved to paint and his paintings were selling so he was given a choice to get executed, or live if he agreed to continue to paint. So his living is conditional on him being FORCED to paint, but that's okay because he knows that would have been his CHOICE anyway.

I would suggest you think and briefly clarify this position. You are proposing here that the ends justify the means for an all-knowing all-powerful being. Collateral damage is a contingency based on unknown or unalterable variables.

Right. I think in the most fundamental way God understood that giving freedom of choice some would not choose eternal life under the circumstances God was offering ETERNAL life. They would not be happy. But some would choose that scenario willingly of their own accord and for those, their happiness would be much greater. So he felt it was worth it.

Here's another scenario. Let's say God LOVES SURFING AND SURFERS!! He had this plan for this eternal surfer's resort. But he wanted the people who were going to be in this resort forever to be completely happy and content. So he created all other kinds of resorts as well as the surfer's resort and gave people a choice to choose. Well after a while it became apparent which ones were into surfing and thus who would be happy at the eternal, permanent surfing resort. So after a while, he just closed down and discontinued all the other temporary resorts, with everyone dying of old age. The surfers also died of old age. Then he resurrected the surfers to enjoy the sufer's paradise resort. They were quite happy, and everybody lived happily ever after.

I am a positive atheist with respect to the Christian God in that I can prove (1) All definitions of God are internally incoherant or logically contradictory and therefore it is impossible that God exists, AND (2) Given the purported qualities of God the situation we would expect to occur in the world is not the case we find.

Interesting, but this would not apply specfically to me. Acknowledging that everything is "subjective", in my personal case, you'd have to prove that my concept of God is completely internal. I think you might win that argument generally, but I have the issue of the "sign of the son of man" photographs, which match the Revelation Book imagery. That is, the Bible speaks of this "sign of the son of man" appearing in the clouds. My belief is that this sign was black cloud imagery of the face of a sleeping child, representing specific esoteric details of the second coming. Now I have a photograph of this "sign". I believe it was provided by God as a miracle. Further, I believe others must have seen the sign because it appears in the cryptic artwork of a publication put out in 1988. The sign appeared ten years later for me personally, per my belief, in 1998.

So YOUR CHALLENGE is to convince me that the photo is part of my imagination or can be explained more logically as a coincidence or natural occurrence having nothing to do with the Bible or God, and that the same imagery in the Revelation Book of the sleeping face of a black child is totally unrelated as well.

My situation is thus different because before this, indeed, I believe my belief in God was subjective, based upon religious beliefs from my childhood, etc. and for the most part could not be disproven as being completely subjective and internal. That is, that I bought into creating my own god without any "supernatural" proof of a specific existence. But I don't have that luxury with this "sign of the son of man" promise. In fact, I think that's probably why an external, physical miracle, even as simple as this, was provided. To protect myself from thinking everything was simply internalized.

Of course, it will be difficult to dissuade me that this was not a miracle because, the photo was taken on the anniversary of the first time I saw this sign, at the same time of the day, related to a skyscape photographer who lived in another state, who randomly took photos over a 3-hour period, expecting the sign to reappear on this 6th anniversary of the sign. The fact that this person who befriended me in public specialized in skyscapes makes it clear that was her purpose. To photograph as well as confirm/witness the specific date and time of this event, so I could have something that is "external" and not "internal."

You see, even my personal interview with God, could be considered internal by you. Certainly. I might even be convinced it was my imagination or delusion. But how do I explain the "sign of the son of man" photograph? I can't.

So for the purpose of our discussion, part of my belief in God is related to this appearance of the sign, the appearance of a skyscape photographer to take that appearance, and that appearance specifically in a separate location. Keeping in mind all the while, that this wasn't something indepedent of the Bible. That is, she could have seen a sign in her skies and photographed it and it could have been amazing and we both considered a miracle of God, with no mention in the Bible of any images in the clouds. However, the Bible prophesied about a sign in the heaven that would take place! So this photo is now connected with my Biblical reality as well.

Adding to that reality is the same image in the Revelation Book of the sleeping black face, with no other explanation as to the significance of it. Since the sleeping black child's face is a "divine" concept to illustrate the second coming messiah, who is the sleeping black child (i.e. the black child messiah dies at one point), someone else must have seen it. The WTS leadership might have likewise seen it and understood it was the "sign of the son of man" though they doubted it, but it inspired them to include it in their cryptic artwork.

So I have PROOF that the "sign of the son of man" was fulfilled per the Bible. Only it's EXTERNAL. And even if you are convinced all this is a huge coincidence, it is still external. But there is absolutely now way God didn't do this. So, again, in MY CASE, I have some direct external issues inaddition to my internal direct contact with God to deal with. I realize that is exceptional, but it clearly falls outside your "proof" that God is a completely internalized experience.

I will not accept the personal anecdotal experience as evidence.

It is not entirely anecdotal. I have a photo of the prophesied "sign of the son of man", and proof others have seen it. I have a photo of the image, and the image appears in a book written 10 years earlier.

If you would like to debate this separately we can debate the Arguments From Religious Confusion and the Argument Against Indistinguishables. In brief, I accept as a fact that you believe you have had these experiences. This belief I will take as a fact. We have the condition of equifinality in life, however. In that one datum (fact) can have other explanations. I will not further this argument if you do not bring this up again. To cling on to this you are affirm the position of "presuppositionalisim." Then we must discuss the burden of proof first.

YOU have the advantage, as a skeptic to use the fact that generally, everything we experience that becomes memory can be supposed to be false memory, optical illusions or delusions and in the end just strong feelings. As you call it "religious confusion." I can't justify around that curve. But that all changes once the God you believe in and who has talked to you has gone out of his way to bring a skyscape photographer to you, make sure others know your connection publicly, just before arranging her to photograph the appearance of the "sign of son of man" that others have seen. So I'm very interested in your take on the subjectivity of my beliefs when I have these "external" evidences to deal with that are in direct line with my "internal stimuli."

At the same time, it becomes quite clear that is WHY the external confirmation is needed, just because our personal experiences do boil down to just memories, memories we might self-question or self-doubt with enough counter intelligence, right? So even God himself understands, with all the great faith, all the Biblical coordination and understanding, it is still not enough. Something miraculous and something "physical" was needed. And something that could be shared and preserved. Not just a vision lots of the same people see, but something seen with the literal eye and thus able to be photographed!

The genius of this is that subjectively, it works great. I don't have the luxury of having to admit that I'm crazy or delusional, since insanity and delusion don't produce photographs or cloud images. So my experience is both internal and external "stimuli" and in a form I can share with others. See my dilemma here? (Or is this YOUR dilemma?)

http://www.geocities.com/siaxares/facenhand.gif

http://www.geocities.com/siaxares/clouddove.jpg

This is a logical error of False Dichotomy. It also implies determinism. Furthermore, given the qualities God is said to posess only events which match his highest purpose will occur.

I agree. The TEMPORARY suffering of mankind serves that higher purpose.

Finally, why indeed deprive the world of me? One of my greatest joys in life has been convincing people to self identify as atheists and convince them of the conclusions that Christianity is not true and also is not good.

Reason? LOVE. What would you do for someone you loved? Jump out of a plane? Enter a burning building? Maybe you truly are not worth saving. But maybe it was worth the pain and suffering to bring you here so you'd have a choice/chance for life. Then, again, maybe you're quite special.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Of course I believe God is man made, but you have the further burden of proving that this character Satan exists.

Interesting. I don't think I can prove he exists. He's part of my belief mechanism. I did see his heavenly image once; he resembles Brad Pitt in appearance, about 22 or 23 years of age. Short hair. Focussed but resigned. But other than that I can't PROVE he exists. I guess I can only prove God exists. So you won that one.

I insist upon these being distinguished. I can not credit the existance of one supernatural entity to prove the existance of a second supernatural entity any more that I can credit the existance of Body Thetans to prove the existance of Xenu to a scientologist.

This statement suggests to me that given the existence of this omnipotent God, if proven, then he might be dualistic and that no separate entity of evil, a "Satan" actually exists. Well, I can only present to you what the BIBLE says about it. That's all I have to offer. Maybe Satan is an invetion of our own moral compass of sorts? Not a real evil influence and entity? Perhaps. I don't think I can PROVE by any means that Satan really exists. But then again, you can't prove he doesn't, so. It's just a matter of "opinion"; of which yours, I respect.

I will not address the rest of your post for later since it was getting too far ahead of unadressed presuppositions and definition conflicts.

Okay. By the way, I can take this slow. I type over 120 wpm so it's rather easy but I'm sure we both have other things to do. Though I think we are getting to our main points of divergence quite quickly here. Thanks for this exercise. Ultimately discussion causes us to examine ourselves more closely and our beliefs, especially in the light of another's perspective, so I've already benefited from your challenges. Regards, JCanon

• Spook
    Spook

Jcannon has conceded the debate though he may not know it yet. He has disproven God for himself:

Jcannon agreed to the proposition that

1. All things which occur are serving the highest purpose of an omnipotent God.

2. Suffering occurs.

3. Therefore suffering is serving God's highest purpose.

This is incompatible with the definition of God given in the preamble.

1. God is omnipotent.

Arguments from ends vs. means do not apply to God. Being omnipotent, if God existed he can achieve any end result with no respect to means. It seems clear to me that from Jcannon's words that God has chosen suffering.

I conclude with:

1. Being the agent of suffering is immoral.

2. God is the agent of suffering by choosing suffering.

3. If God exists he is fully moral.

4. God is immoral (By 1 and 2 above).

5. Therefore by internal incompatability, God does not exist.

Jcannon did attempt to answer some of the direct questions posed, but in several cases retreated from "Free Will" to choice. This provides no illumination on his definition of free will. From my arguments, ordinary agency (being the source of an action) and ordinary will (having a future intention and acting as an agent to accomplish that) are completely sufficient.

Jcannon will have to be more careful in his analysis of my claims and rebuttals. See below where he quotes my quotation of him and then agrees with it. I was quoting this not in agreement but proceeded to challenge it.

Exactly! I agree! Absolutely.

Jcannon failed in his definition of a coherant idea of free will. In response to answer my question "What is Free Will free from?" He answers that it is free from "non-choice." I submit to the fairness of other readers that this is a double negative. Being free from/of a negative is nonsensical white-noise.

I am also concerned with Jcannon's retreat to solipsistic subjectivism as seen later in his replies. Jcannon ironically takes a solipsistic stand affirming the value of the subjective and then sets up a false dilemma whereby I am challenged to disprove that inner state. This is nonsense. In so far as the external data are concerned, the challenge hereby presented could easily be addressed by the existance of any argument for the equifinality of similar photos. The argument from Indistinguishables relates to the fact that there are thousands of such claims by UFO junkies, big foot fans, radical Islam and Mother Theresa to name just a few. Furhtermore, from confirmation theory, most of these have been soundly disproven as supernatural. So, no Jcannon, I do not have the burden of proof in this issue of internal subjective experience. The burden is squarely on Jcannon's shoulders to affirm the value of his experience. All we've seen so far is a description of the experience in fairly loose terms.

So, Jcannon is again requested to return to the original questions and consider the conclusioins above.

• avishai
    avishai

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills." Robert Heinlein,

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

3. Therefore suffering is serving God's highest purpose.

This is incompatible with the definition of God given in the preamble.

1. God is omnipotent.

No it is not, God is omnipotent in the sense that He is able to do anything that is logically possible for Him to do. Can God create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it? Can give us the freedom to choose without the possibility of evil choices? Can he make a spherical cube?

His Omnpotence means power to do all that is intrinsicaly possible, not to do the intrinsicaly impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creatre free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaninless combinations of words do not suddenly aquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive altenatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.

C.S. Lewis "The Problem of Pain" (page 18)

http://books.google.com/books?id=_pCG6dWmpeoC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA16&output=html&sig=EZ0GxSCPbPMRQFJgXsrMmuUciOE

“God does not wish to do everything, in order not to take from us our free will and that part of the glory which is ours.” Machiavelli

If something is possible, God can do it.

Burn

• Spook
    Spook

Burn TheShips said

No it is not, God is omnipotent in the sense that He is able to do anything that is logically possible for Him to do. Can God create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it? Can give us the freedom to choose without the possibility of evil choices? Can he make a spherical cube?

I conceded previously in the discussion that Theists have an adequate defense of the logical argument from evil. The conclusions drawn by me were extracted from Jcannon's definitions of choice in particular, which I admit BurnTheShips may not match that closely with those who traditionally engage in the theistic defense. Within the argument that followed from Jcannon's comments I hope BurnTheShips would agree that by choosing a situation with more suffering than other available options Jcannon's God is acting in terms of means to an end and at the least is not supremely moral. The incompatible properties argument would still hold. Though other theists could take up the defense.

Within this line of defense, the thiest affirms that the current state of suffering maximizes the highest purpose of God and that no other logically possible state of affairs could satisfy that purpose with less suffering.

Finally, I prefer the definition of omnipotence he gave as "all logically possible things" even though not all who take up the theistic defense take that stand. These are usually those who argue that logic itself is a metaphysical creation of God and is a function of a human mind describing natural laws (both of which they claim to be created by God and therefore not a limiting condition on his actions.)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    These are usually those who argue that logic itself is a metaphysical creation of God and is a function of a human mind describing natural laws (both of which they claim to be created by God and therefore not a limiting condition on his actions.)

That is a very valid counteragument. Excellent post! It has occurred to me as well.

Let me chew on that.

Burn

• JCanon
    JCanon

Hi Spook:

Jcannon has conceded the debate though he may not know it yet. He has disproven God for himself:

Not at all. Only YOUR restrictive definition of God, maybe. But not mine.

Arguments from ends vs. means do not apply to God. Being omnipotent, if God existed he can achieve any end result with no respect to means. It seems clear to me that from Jcannon's words that God has chosen suffering.

I don't agree. God has not chosen "suffering" only "TEMPORARY suffering." And I explained the alternative to "temporary suffering" is no life at all.

NOW you become GOD. There is a child whom you love. He is trapped with his foot caught under a railroad track. The train is coming. There is no time to try and hoist up the track. Your only choice to save the child is to quickly chop off his foot. If you do not, he will be killed. So, do you decide the pain of chopping off the foot is better than the child being killed. You are assured he will be killed so quickly by the train he will not suffer any pain whatsoever. What is the "benevolent" thing to do?

5. Therefore by internal incompatability, God does not exist.

OR, God is immoral as you say, which is really what you're saying, is it not? Either God doesn't exist, or if he does, he is immoral for allowing temporary suffering? So it is not: Does God exist or not, but is he hypocritical or "immoral" for allowing suffering? So you've lost your argument. We must now debate to what extent god is "immoral" or not, and it only is sufficient that I have the opinion that he is not. I will not counter your personal view that he is. Even so, we have established the potential existence of God, seen as immoral by some and not immoral by others.

Jcannon failed in his definition of a coherant idea of free will. In response to answer my question "What is Free Will free from?" He answers that it is free from "non-choice." I submit to the fairness of other readers that this is a double negative. Being free from/of a negative is nonsensical white-noise.

No it is not. It is the direct, mirror opposite. The lack of free will is the direct opposite of free will. It ended up a double-negative because of the way you phrased your question: What is free will free from? It is free from the opposite.: Non-choice. So the answer is valid. You may consider it "nonsensical white-noise" but you're not in a position to do that. Your only position is that you don't understand my response. If you know math or algebra then the concept of a double negative becomes clear to you: -1(-1*5)=+5

I am also concerned with Jcannon's retreat to solipsistic subjectivism as seen later in his replies. Jcannon ironically takes a solipsistic stand affirming the value of the subjective and then sets up a false dilemma whereby I am challenged to disprove that inner state. This is nonsense.

Lame excuse to disprove, accepted.

In so far as the external data are concerned, the challenge hereby presented could easily be addressed by the existance of any argument for the equifinality of similar photos. The argument from Indistinguishables relates to the fact that there are thousands of such claims by UFO junkies, big foot fans, radical Islam and Mother Theresa to name just a few.

INVALID. YOU have to demonstrate this. That is, show a PHOTO of cloud imagery that matches a similar published image 10 years earlier. If this is so common then you should have no problem demonstrating this. But you also have to show CONTEXT to something like the Bible which was written 1900 years earlier. Here is the focus of my argument.

1. The Bible says there would be a sign.

2. It says the sign would appear in the heaevn.

3. The Bible dates that sign occurring "Immediately after the tribulation of those days.." meaning after the Holocaust.

4. The sign has the effect of causing those who see it to "beat themselves in lamentation", which is what one does over the death of someone.

So the SIGN has to meet the above context.

5. The image that showed up in the photo was taken at a specific time related to the photographer of the previous appearance of the sign, that is, December 26 in the late afternoon. The sign was "suspected" because this was the 7th anniversary of the second coming, inclusive. Seven is a focal number pattern in the Bible. The photos were taken and the resultant imagery appeared.

6. The imagery is specific to the context of the second coming as the black, prodigal son. The divinely inspired artistic "concept" of this is a close-up of the face of a black infant with his eyes closed. This represents the dead black prodigal son.

Notice how this reflects the context of the Biblical reference that those seeing the sign would beat themselves in lamentation. BUT...

7. This sleeping black child's face in the hand of Jesus beside a flying bird figure is no COINCIDENCE in the "Revelation" Book. Or do you think it is? If it is not, then it only means others not only have seen the same imagery, but related it to the "sign of the son of man" that is, connected it directly with Christ, which is the direct connection in the Revelation Book since the sleeping black face appears in the very hand of the messiah next to a bird.

So THAT is what you have to come up with: A 1900-year old prophecy about a sign in the heavens, which turns out to be cloud imagery, that is specific enough to have been printed in a book prior to a photo of that sign. Then you have to show in the Bible where UFO's are supposed to appear at a specific time in fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Please list those scriptures. Thanks.

Furhtermore, from confirmation theory, most of these have been soundly disproven as supernatural.

Mine hasn't. You can't summarily dismiss something I'm claiming is new and UNIQUE by deciding to categorize it generally into something entirely unrelated. Sorry. Nice try but no-go.

So, no Jcannon, I do not have the burden of proof in this issue of internal subjective experience.

Yes you do if you want to continue to say that the God experience is 100% internal. Your backing out of this means YOU CAN'T and therefore you have no basis to claim my God is not real.

The burden is squarely on Jcannon's shoulders to affirm the value of his experience. All we've seen so far is a description of the experience in fairly loose terms.

I've already given my PROOF. I showed you two things:

1. A photo of the sign.

2. The reference to that sign in the Revelation Book.

You have not commented SPECIFICALLY on why that is irrelevant, or common, or nonspecific, or anything.

So, PLEASE: What do you think?

1. Do you think the image in the Revelation Book is similar to the cloud imagery?

2. Do you think they are possibly related?

Just curious?

So, Jcannon is again requested to return to the original questions and consider the conclusioins above.

Progress has been made. Here is my summary:

1. The TRUE issue is not whether or not there is a god, but whether or not if there is a God he is not pure Good but, in fact, bad or "immoral", specifically because he allows temporary suffering in the world of mankind.

2. That some persons who believe in God, like myself, do not have a completely internal experience with God, some of it is external. This was not addressed but waved off as we do UFO sightings. Not good enough. You have a specific, not general, presentation of direct evidence which means you can directly investigate and dismiss this as a fabrication or nonspecific or whatever. But you don't, not that you can. So your internal God argument is disproven.

Thanks! I enjoyed the discussion!

As a final word on the true issue: Is God a cruel god for allowing suffering? My position is that he allows it as a necessary, temporary thing in order to serve the higher purpose of saving the life. We often cut off a limb to save a life. We are willing to suffer and lose parts of our beloved bodies if it will save the whole. So God thinks, given the choice of no life at all or eternal life with a period of temporary suffering, that the latter is more benevolent.

And I agree. Wholeheartedly!

Thanks for the discussion!!!

JC

• JCanon
    JCanon
    These are usually those who argue that logic itself is a metaphysical creation of God and is a function of a human mind describing natural laws (both of which they claim to be created by God and therefore not a limiting condition on his actions.)

That is a very valid counteragument. Excellent post! It has occurred to me as well.

Let me chew on that.

Burn

Hi BurnTheShips. How about chewing on this: Everything that happens to us becomes a "memory" right? So why is there a need for a physical universe at all, why not simply memories? I mean, think about it. What is one day some company came up with "virtual memory" (okay, I know that exists) but maybe "virtual EXPERIENCE." That is, you're working really hard, you've got lots of projects lagging behind and you really don't have time for a two-week vacation on Maui. So you go to this service. They put you to sleep for about 6 hours in a plush tech room, and they hypnotize you or do something and create a memory of the Maui experience in some virtual way. So when you're done you have "experienced" several great "memories" of your "trip"? What difference is that than the memory of your actually having been there? THINK ABOUT MY DELIMMA AS WELL: Here I am, the #1 entity in the universe besides God himself! WHY ME? It is impossible for me to accept that I actually am the messiah and this is my experience. It's like I won the lottery... BUT... What if this is what it is about? The ultimate experience in life is becoming like God and being the messiah? Then I thought, HEY, maybe everybody has a dream like this in their own universe and they all become the messiah. You know, like in some other universe YOU end up becoming the ultimate being? Therefore, it makes sense I've become the messiah because, this is my god-given DREAM for supreme happiness! I mean, isn't the greatest happiness ever the opportunity to be Jesus Christ himself? What a LOTTERY TICKET!! And YOU WON!!! But then, maybe not. Maybe in the scheme of things, SOMEBODY had to be Jesus Christ in the flesh, and whomever that ended up being, they'd have this dilemma of wondering: WHY ME. So it just happened to be ME. I got chosen. But I'll tell you, God sort of tricked me into being the messiah. That's how it actually went down. Just like the prodigal son parable. This is someone who had been dead and wanted just to get back in and suffer. The suffering he found in the world was not nearly as bad as the lives of the mere slaves and servants in God's house. So at least he was SMART enough to try and come back and become a servant. So basically, when this person comes back with hat in hand they're ready to do ANYTHING, just let me back IN! God sort of grins and says, "Really? You will do ANYTHING for me?" The prodigal son answers: "Oh, ABSOLUTELY! ANYTHING. I don't deserve this second chance so you name it and I'll do it!!" So God says: "Okay, sign here!" It was the: MESSIAH AGREEMENT. Yippes! It was too late to back down... So here I am the greatest entity in the universe besides Jehovah himself, and look at how much work it is? I'm not complaining because it's work I like doing. But at the time I was like ready to go up to heaven. I was happy. But being the messiah means being down on the earth for 1000 years, plus 40 years after Satan is released and then another 80 years perhaps for Judgment Day. THEN I get to return to heaven. Of course, the spirit part of me had just been in heaven for the past 1900 years, but I've never been to heaven (except in my vision). So there you have it. I'm here to wash the feet of my disciples, even though I'm the greatest. But that's okay, because that's what I'm good at, and I love mankind, as is quite clear. JC

• Spook
    Spook

Returning again to the discussion: Jcannon said in response to my conclusion...

Not at all. Only YOUR restrictive definition of God, maybe. But not mine.

Well, by all means, if you disagree with the qualities of God as given then please give sufficient definition that it becomes a question that can even be asked.

I don't agree. God has not chosen "suffering" only "TEMPORARY suffering." And I explained the alternative to "temporary suffering" is no life at all.

Jcannon is equivocating on a temporal definition. It is enough for me to say that God has cosen the current state of affairs and suffering exists within the current state of affairs. The false dilemma he set up of suffering/no life at all is not compelling. My burden in affirming the proposition seems to be that I only have to prove the possibility of some state of affairs that would contain less suffering to conclude that God chose more suffering. Jcannon would have to prove that there is no possible state of affairs available to an omnipotent being in which less suffering exists. This is also where the argument from evil encounters the argument from non belief. We have a world with so much suffering that some prefer to die rather than live. Consider the next quotation:

NOW you become GOD. There is a child whom you love. He is trapped with his foot caught under a railroad track. The train is coming. There is no time to try and hoist up the track. Your only choice to save the child is to quickly chop off his foot. If you do not, he will be killed. So, do you decide the pain of chopping off the foot is better than the child being killed. You are assured he will be killed so quickly by the train he will not suffer any pain whatsoever. What is the "benevolent" thing to do?

Jcannon has committed the falacy of weak analogy. The moral thing to do is to act with the intent to reduce harm. Of course I would chop his foot off. This analogy does not hold water. I am not omnipotent or omniscient.

Jcannon also said the following about free will:

It is the direct, mirror opposite. The lack of free will is the direct opposite of free will. It ended up a double-negative because of the way you phrased your question: What is free will free from?

Jcannon may not be familiar with the linguistic grounds he is treading upon here. It will be sufficient if I can say Jcannon is speaking in terms of "ordinary will" and "agency" which are different than what most people would define as free will. The way I asked the question is the way a linguistic question is asked, based off the types and definitions of words in the phrase.

Jcannon continues on with his return to what seems to be his real issue, again, though I see no direct connection to the subject heading, of his personal experience:

Yes you do if you want to continue to say that the God experience is 100% internal. Your backing out of this means YOU CAN'T and therefore you have no basis to claim my God is not real.

Jcannon seems to forget that I have credited that the his belief is a fact. A datum. The only question is "what's the better explanation of how this came to be?"

Furhtermore, Jcannon does not seem to understand the nature of the burden of proof. I might recommend some reading on confirmation theory.

As much of a tangent as it is, I have to say I rolled my eyes after looking at these photos. Nothing exemplary to me at all, here. The message I get from Jcannon is a defense from bible prophecy line of reasoning. To get into that is treading well beyond the bounds of the argument from evil.

As to the claim that I'm saying God is immoral, that is not the case. I don't believe in God and that is nonsensical language. Jcannon has to understand this is a common way to use language. I think most fair readers will understand that when I speak of God, given I'm affirming the proposition, that this can be taken to mean "if God existed". Here's an example that's silly:

1. There is an all powerful being of whom it is claimed that it is most important to him that all people have green hats.

2. If God exists, all people have green hats.

3. People do not all have green hats.

4. Therefore, this God does not exist.

If you can't see that kind of logic, then the point of this conversation is probably lost.

Lastly your questions: No on both accounts. And as to Jcannon's summary, I have addressed both the burden of proof of personal experiences and the definition of God. Neither of these points is conceded by me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit