Anyone from Connecticut around? I got a story to tell

by Id rather watch Saturday Cartoons 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Id rather watch Saturday Cartoons
    Id rather watch Saturday Cartoons

Greetings!!! I have been following this site for about 5 years never posted. I was raised a JW. I come from a family that takes their spirituality very seriously. My uncle has been labeled an apostate by the elders in the area. Here is how it happens: 1. Questions about teachings and conscious matters (basically everything we have issues with on here) 2. Other elders bring questions to him and ask him for answers since he is the presiding overseer. He tells them to wait on Jehovah he will explain. 3. The elders in the congregation do not listen so he writes the society and they tell him "Don't worry about this its not your concern the light will be brighter" this happens a couple times. 4. Bethel decides to have him watched and they come to the area to speak with other PO's and now the elders who were asking the questions play dumb like they don't know whats going on. 5. One PO (this PO is really paying for his actions) from an adjoining congregation sends in a letter of recommendation to have this elder punished (DF). (This elder had the same questions as other elders) 6. My uncle then decides to DA himself from the WTBTS, after he digs further into teachings and areas he held fast waiting on new light and boom he sees the contradictions. This is a summary of events and I'm sure there is more detail and probably not as accurate as it should be, however you get the point. My uncle is a very very smart man and is no fool and my family knows this too, so do others. He would not do something against the religion if he didn't know what he was talking about. I mean he is responsible for so many people even being introduced to the religion that he so deeply loved and cherished as we all did at one point. He quietly left the JW religion, however he has been known to jump on TV every now and then. Okay maybe not so quietly. For the life of me I never understood this because I was young at the time (still in my pre-teens), however when my uncle left back in the early 90's I had no clue why. He never told us anything or spilled the beans or caused us pain of knowledge. See what he did was what the Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to do, allow us to make our own decisions based off life, the scriptures and what you think is right for you in line with Christ's teachings. He never changed over the years. He is the same guy I looked up to growing up. I notice zero changes. He loves all of us unconditionally and he even checks on his own family far more than any JW has over the years. I mean he is kicking their ass in the very areas they claim to be so outstanding in. His children love him and he has wonderful grandkids his nephews and nieces love him. Its so funny That it made me pick up a book and read about my religion without him even telling me one word, as all I had to do was see the example he set. Now that was a lot to type!!!!!!!

• dawg
    dawg

I used to work in Hartford. Interesting story... they can't answer the questions raised thus the shunning and blame.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Hi welcome! Glad you're here. The JW thing is pretty scary when you look back on it!!! Sending you a PM now.

• happy1975
    happy1975

Hi,

Nice to meet you. I too am a frequent reader/seldom poster at this site. I'm from southern MA - that's an intersting story. Welcome!

-Happy

• Id rather watch Saturday Cartoons
    Id rather watch Saturday Cartoons

Thanks for all the kind words I feel like home already :)

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

Very interesting, your uncle sounds like a great person. I lived in CT in the early '90s, in Southbury. I went to the Woodbury congregation, I wonder if we know any of the same people. I absolutely loved my time in New England and swear I'll be back. So much of my growing into the man I am today started up there, I think it'll always feel like home to me.

Msg me if you want to see if we have any mutual acquaintances. Hell, anybody who lived in the Landsdale, PA area or Cincy, OH area can Msg me too.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I lived in Connecticut for a bit--New Haven, West Haven, Orange area. All of the cities just seem to be a step over the line (no rural like areas in between). I found that to be so strange! My sister would say we are now in such and such city and we had just crossed a street or something... My neice lives in that area now. She's a Jehovah's Witness.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I lived in the hartford area in the 80's up to 1990. We lived east of the city out towards Tolland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit