Whats unusual about an undergrad attending a prof/grad student party?

by tsunami_rid3r 6 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

So I've been hanging around the professional crowd for a while, its much more funner than hanging out with people my own age. Like tonight, I was the only undergrad at my prof's party. It was cool too because I got to hang with my profs at a more chill setting. Would you say this is good?

• stapler99
    stapler99

If you get along fine with them I see nothing wrong with it. Why should you feel that there is something wrong with it? If there is some problem you have with associating with other undergraduates you should think about sorting it out, but generally I'd say just do what you think is best and try to be honest with yourself, and pay attention to your feelings and why you're doing things. That's all you can do really. I don't think there are definite rules about whom one should associate with, and there's nothing wrong with doing things slightly out of the ordinary.

• rmt1
    rmt1

If you have the goods, then nothing is unusual. Try to detect if they are 1) merely allowing an interested person into the circle, 2) allowing potential future replacements or heirs into the circle, 3) encouraging a rising star to think seriously about grad school in the field, 4) determining your suitability for something, or 5) actually grooming for something.

If none of that, you probably need to compare your networking ability between the two groups. Fellow undergrads as they percolate up into business and career _will be_ useful, and so is the connections of already knowing faculty who have inside knowledge of _current or near-term_ opportunities. Keep a mix.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This thread is funny.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

I'm doing this for a number of reasons which could go back to how I was raised or other factors at present.

I always liked hanging around the older crowd. Maybe its my upbringing into an older congregation with a few alright people my age. I remember I use to always take piano lessons from this elder.
    I was very proactive in the congregation, and the elders always used me for parts. I was the first of my age to give a number 2 talk. After my dad became a witness, he was used a lot too and I would help him.

I mention privileges because it reminds me of what I'm doing for the grad students and my prof. Same situation, different context?

Another, the people at this university is starting to bug the shit out of me. Worldly people still suck. Today I had to listen to some sorority girl's phone conversation in the computer lab. All I have to say is she's a dip shit so I put on my headphones. Now I'll admit there may be a few cool people here, but I'm being very wary about who I talk to. Basically, people here remind me of the witnesses.

Now the grad students and profs, I think they're cool because they share the same views as me and they seem like the worldly type that I would think of when I was a witness.

I'll admit, I want to move to the top fast. I want my PhD now, and I will do whatever it takes. Is that bad? Should I watch myself?

• rmt1
    rmt1

There's a difference between doing what it takes and having what it takes. Doing is ephemeral, having is long-term. Concentrate on having what it takes (to be in the circle), and the doing will follow. Concentrate on the doing without the having, and you will burn out your ambition. Ambition has a certain market value, and tested skills have higher value.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

There's a big difference between undergrads and graduate students. This is due to age and maturity. Once you get to the graduate level, you'll suddenly be surrounded by people who are doing what they're doing because they want to and not because they want to get their 4-year degree out of the way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit