The Walking Dead cocktail party reminds me of... me

by undercover 6 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

As fans of The Walking Dead know, our heros have found sanctuary (or have they) at Alexandria, a seemingly normal safe zone from the walkers/rotters/etc. This past episode had Rick's 'family' invited to a 'welcome to the community' cocktail party, hosted by Deanna, the leader of the community.

Having entered Alexandria, we're starting to see the different levels of PTSD in our little group. Rick, Carol, and Daryl trust no one. Others want to trust, but are wary. At the party, Rick initially refuses an alcoholic beverage, while Abraham finds courage in the available beer. Daryl doesn't even go in the front door, and Sasha goes off on a well-meaning villager who wanted to know her favorite dish.

I know that the horrors of a TV zombie apocalypse are not comparable to being raised in a cult-like religion, but watching this episode, especially how Rick's crew were trying to feel at home, or accept that this party was somehow normal, I could especially relate as someone who feared, and avoided the 'world' growing up. Everything 'worldly' was like a walker coming to try to eat me, and I avoided it as such. But upon learning TTATT, and realizing that the 'world' wasn't the evil, demon possessed people I was led to believe for so long. But even as I realized that the things learned as a JW were incorrect, and I started to move out into the real world, I felt a lot like Rick's people, as they tried to fit in to what to everyone else is a normal situation. They were uncomfortable, slow to let their guard down. Just like I was when I first started making friends on the 'outside'.

The only real difference between us and Rick's group is that they fear being inside the group, while we first feared leaving the confines of the group we were in. But for me, it did get better, but there is a lingering feeling of not always fitting in, even today, several years later.

Hopefully for us, we fare better than our WD friends have so far. And hopefully Daryl takes a shower, Rick doesn't kill Jessie's husband, Carol doesn't tie the kid to the tree for the walkers, and Abraham doesn't have a hangover.

• Simon
    Simon
    They were uncomfortable, slow to let their guard down. Just like I was when I first started making friends on the 'outside'.

Ah, I know that feeling!

It is difficult. You don't realize how much the WTS experience has affected your outlook and behavior until you are free of it.

The only real difference between us and Rick's group is that they fear being inside the group, while we first feared leaving the confines of the group we were in. But for me, it did get better, but there is a lingering feeling of not always fitting in, even today, several years later.

I sometimes found myself reacting to things in a certain way almost as a conditioned response even when you knowingly don't believe those feelings and don't want to react as you find yourself doing. Having good friends who are understanding helps - they may not quite understand how something can both bother you and not bother you but at least they are willing to laugh with you at your crazy :)

Good analogy / parallel !

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

That's a good analogy.

I'll never forget one of my first jobs in the professional world when I was 22 years old. A pair of female co-workers who were 7-10 years older than me graciously invited me to a baseball game with them. One was married; the other had a boyfriend. They caught me off guard in the morning and I said yes.

Of course, a man could not be alone with women or else an orgy would surely break out. I spent the rest of the day panicking trying to come up with a good excuse to back out. I made up some stupid story and told them I couldn't go after all. They rarely asked me to do anything ever again.

Knowing what I do now (I'm in my mid 30s and have been in professional work settings for over a decade), these women were just being nice and trying to make the new guy feel like part of the team. I've often found myself on lunches or traveling alone with women and it's never led to sex. Even the thought of it is absurd, but I had been indoctrinated to such a degree where I felt it was the natural consequence of such an outing. In fact, when I left the witnesses I was quite disappointed that getting laid wasn't as simple as that. Seriously.

I must have come across incredibly awkward in my interactions with them, like I was from a different world.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Simon... I completely agree with the feeling of not truly knowing how messed up your outlook is until you completely free yourself of the lifestyle.

I believe the most difficult step is that of the unknown. I preach it to my family as much as possible. They may see that "some things are not as they should be" but they will never fully realize how perverse the life is until they are willing and able to rid themselves of it.

pbrow

• done4good
    done4good

neverendingjourney-

I'll never forget one of my first jobs in the professional world when I was 22 years old. A pair of female co-workers who were 7-10 years older than me graciously invited me to a baseball game with them. One was married; the other had a boyfriend. They caught me off guard in the morning and I said yes.

Of course, a man could not be alone with women or else an orgy would surely break out. I spent the rest of the day panicking trying to come up with a good excuse to back out. I made up some stupid story and told them I couldn't go after all. They rarely asked me to do anything ever again.

Been that guy...grew out of it rather quickly though, even as a JW

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comparison indeed!

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this aspect of The Walking Dead pans out...

Further to your comparison, it is indeed telling that we now see the REAL application of the shows title refers to those "still alive" (ie Ricks group) as the real Walking Dead!

Not far off from life as a witness who knows TTATT!

• rmt1
    rmt1

Walking Dead maintains a zombie equation of state or zombie equilibrium function that is finely tuned to provide maximum plot exclamation for minimal plot relevance. The WTS tasks itself, like the writers and producers of some fantasy show, to always populate its grand stage with just the right amount of appropriately timed appearances of demons, satans, smurfs, leprechauns, worldly people, spiritual vampires, ad nauseum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit