Hyperthyroid/Graves Disease

by lrkr 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lrkr
    lrkr

Anyone with experience with this condition?? My wife was recently diagnosed. Just trying to find some info.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I am hyPOthyroid (Hashimoto's Disease). I found a great doctor and helpful information on this website.

http://thyroid.about.com/library/hyperquiz/blhyperquizi.htm

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I know someone who had this. their options were surgery to remove a bit of the thyroid gland, which would leave a small scar, or take a dose of radioactive iodine to kill a few thyroid cells. My friend chose the radioactive iodine because they didn't want a scar. The doctor miscalculated to dosage, and my friend went hypothyroid and will have to take thyroid hormone for the rest of their life. In retrospect, it is less likely that surgery would have had this result, but surgery IS invasive and not without various risks of its own, not to mention the small scar.

• MsMcDucket
  • videos (3)
  • images (1)
  • alt Too Much Hormone: Understanding Hyperthyroidism Play Videoplay videoread transcript alt A Champion Battles Thyroid Disease: Gail Devers' Story Play Videoplay videoread transcript
  • ninja
    ninja

I wish my mother in law had graves disease.....I would visit it everyday.....(and throw more dirt on just to make sure)

• lrkr
    lrkr

Easy Ninja. Thank you everyone else. Specifically wondering if anyone has had success with herbal treatments or if the usual course of Tapazole is effective.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

My wife got radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroid (nodules) in December. It is just a drink you take, the radioactive iodine kills off part of the thyroid. The alternative for hot thyroid nodules is surgery, and the iodine stuff works better and without surgery. Afterwards you might go hypothyroid and have to supplement the rest of your life, this is likely. They though in Jan that she might have Graves. Scary cause Graves makes your eyes bug out, among other things.

She had her blood tested last week and thyroid levels are normal but her liver is all out of whack.

Hyperthyroid will severly affect her mood and fatigue levels. We went through a year of this with a newborn in the picture. Patience. Patience.

Burn

• lrkr
    lrkr
    Hyperthyroid will severly affect her mood and fatigue levels. We went through a year of this with a newborn in the picture. Patience. Patience.

I think you have the picture. The screwed up liver part scares the hell out of my wife.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Please keep me posted, lrkr.

I will do likewise.

Best of luck, friend.

Burn

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit