WT AND TAX AVOIDANCE

by badboy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

READING IN THE NEWSPAPER ABOUT BIG COMPANIES DOING TAX AVOIDANCE,MADE ME WONDER IF WT IS INTO TAX AVOIDANCE.

• proandcon
    proandcon

Badboy...of course they are...there's nothing wrong with "avoiding taxes"...most people and organizations of all sizes make a regular practice of it ...there is something definitely wrong with evading taxes which should be paid.

The WT avoids taxes simply by taking advantage of its tax status as a religious organization. Taxation of such organizations is very limited.

However, WT, like some tax exempt organizations, has made payments in lieu of taxes to some governments becasue their presence in the community is quite large. (as a tax exempt organization)

At the Farm in Wallkill for instance, the WTS has made numerous payments of cash, time and tangible resources to the local governments and agencies (eg fire dept, Town Rec dept, highway dept, etc.).

A tax professor once said: "Avoiding taxes is as American as apple pie...evading taxes could get you sent to prison".

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You are correct, there is a difference between avoiding and evaiding taxes.

The wt avoids taxes by maintaining a religious status. I believe they crossed the line into evasion when they changes asking for donations for literature. Which is interesting because what they are evading is not their own tax but the tax that should be levied against the buyer of the material.

They do the same trick at the WT. Their hotel rooms as well as their in-house fod commissaries. Everything is on a "donation" basis to evade sales tax collections. But even though the items are donation only, dont expect to leave without paying. So, they are not really donation only.

• VM44
    VM44

Did The Watchtower ever pay the French tax, or are they still appealing it?

• badboy
    badboy

I THINK THEY PAID THE FRENCH TAX.

• badboy
    badboy

Coul an inidivual BE PROSECUTED OR TAX EVASION IF DONATIONS ARE DEEMED TO BE TAX EVASION?

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

I don't think they paid the French tax. It seems to me that I heard they beat it.

One

• badboy
    badboy

BTTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit