Russell's motivation?

by Pahpa 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

What was the motivation for Russell's move from Pa. to N.Y.? Reading the early history of the Watchtower Society, one gets the impression that Russell wanted to get away from his problems with his wife and distance himself from the jurisdiction of the Pa. courts. In the Watchtower version, Jehovah directed him to Brooklyn because of the proximity to N.Y. City and its shipping and business advantages. But I get the feeling that it may have been more mundane. The Pa. courts favored Maria in her plea for more support. Russell was putting his assets into the corporation... possibly to hide them. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding these matters? (Has it been discussed before?)

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Russel what just caught up in the Millerite -Adventist hub-bub of his generation... I think if he wanted to he could have made a lot more money than he put into the WT in his time.

The corporations and location... business good sense at the time.

If he started today...his print shops would be in the third world someplace and his money in the Caymans.

He seemed to deal with his wife in typical Victorian fashion. I dont how much of his business actions were motivated by his relationship with his wife..but i guess it's possible.

For comparison dig a little into a small sect known as the "House of David"... you may see some similar things and get a feel of how nutty religious business was in the early 20th century.

~Hill

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Hillbilly

I have no doubt of the sincerity of Russell in his religious beliefs. But his deplorable actions against his wife were inexcusable for one who claimed to be a "Christian" leader of others. Maria was a difficult person from all reports. But Russell was under the obligation of showing her the dignity and support as a Christian husband regardless of the Victorian standards of the time.

The Watchtower has always presented a "white washed" version of its own history. I suspect this is the case with Russell's dealings with his wife. The timing of the divorce and the decision of the Pa. courts would seem to indicate more than a coincidence regarding his move to N.Y. And I'm wondering if anyone else entertain the same suspicions?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

on all accounts...I tend to agree. In that era he could have squashed his wife out without moving the corporation. I think he was deplorable in dealing with his wife in any era.

~Hill

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Your assumptions are correct Pahal , it has been well documented that he pushed most of his assets into the the Watchtower Incorporation with the obvious attention

of making himself look money poor in the eyes of the courts but then still having control of the money within the organization. A crooked businessman indeed and its no

coincidence either that a crooked lawyer by the name of Joesph Rutherford eventually became the President of the WTS. was to follow .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit