New religious survey completed: Jehovah's Witnesses have the highest...

by seattleniceguy 5 Replies latest social current

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

This is interesting. A new study has just been completed by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. The study encompassed more than 35,000 people, a very large sample for a survey of this type. The results are here: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/02/26/us_religious_identity_is_rapidly_changing/

Here's the paragraph that caught my eye:

Among the study's more unusual findings: Jehovah's Witnesses have the worst record of any faith group at retaining their members. Hindus and Mormons are the least likely to be married to someone of another faith, and the least likely to be single. Mormons and Muslims have the biggest families. Three-quarters of American Buddhists are converts. Jews are the highest-income group in America, but Hindus are now the best educated: Nearly half of all adult Hindus have some post-graduate education.

Looks like someone besides us has noticed!

SNG

• Emma
    Emma

This was published in our local paper last night; any thoughts on what might go into a letter to the editor to draw attention to it?

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Heeeyyyy dude! Where've you been? How've you been? Are you still in Japan?

• cognac
    cognac

Are the stats for each year on that cd rom that they have?

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey DarkUncle, no, I'm back in the States. I've been around, just haven't posted much. Thanks for asking!

Emma, I'm not sure about a letter to the editor. It might be useful to bring up in discussions with JWs when they talk about their growth, but I'm not sure how to make it interesting to the general public.

SNG

• cognac
    cognac
    Are the stats for each year on that cd rom that they have?

Or on there website somewhere?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit