What Does Being an Adult Mean for Young Women?

by Praying4Justice 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Praying4Justice
    Praying4Justice

My daughter was 18 when the Jehovah's Witnesses encouraged (and pressured) her to move out of her home because I would not allow her to go to any more book studies. They went to work and found an apartment for her to move to. She now lives with this older bitter and mean Jehovah's Witness woman. Not my idea of a better situation for her.

They kept telling her she's 18 and an adult and can do what she wants and move out of her home, but yet she cannot be alone with a boy. I know the rule is that girls should not date until they are ready to get married. Even if they are ready to get married, they have to date with a chaperone so they are never alone. At what age are they ever allowed to be alone with a man? What if a young woman is 20, 21, 30, etc.? When are they considered to be adults and can use their own discretion when alone with a man? When the elders have meetings with young girls/women, are any other women present? Is it ever a one-on-one meeting with an elder? Are they required to have a certain amount of elders in a meeting? Please don't tell me that the only men they are allowed to be alone with are elders?

Oh and by the way, when we had an intervention with her, they told her she's an adult. . so she can call the police.

• llbh
    llbh
    They kept telling her she's 18 and an adult and can do what she wants and move out of her home, but yet she cannot be alone with a boy

This is an example of their selective way of thinking and it is awful.

At 18 here in the UK she is considered an adult.

I am having the same battles with my my 14y daughter.

I can only say be as kind as possible with your daughter, in the hope she will see them for what they are.

It is though very difficult as you have found out

BTW Welcome Praying For Justice

I know you will get lots of good advice

Regards David

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It is never OK for an unrelated male and female JW to be alone together, even if the male is 16 and the female is 61.

And yes, if the elders feel the need to interrogate her, it will be two or three elders alone with your daughter, no other female will be allowed to be present.

If your daughter were underaged, they would still want to interrogate her wiht no parent present. Though I understand some parents have insisted on being present and been successful. usually parents do not put up a fuss.

When I went to the elders for help because my stepfather was assaulting me. We sat in the back room with three creepy elders sitting around me in a semi circle firing sexually explicit questions at me. It was a horrible experience for a fifteen year old uber shy girl.

It was a sexual assault in itself.

• real one
    real one

I hope you are able to pray for your daughter to get her out of the hands of that cult. Try to use the Bible when you discuss how false that religion is. Yes she is an adult but let her know that she must read the Bible for herself in order to understand God's word. Tell her to look up cult on the computer and show her how many times jw come up. That is no accident. God bless you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit