Behold the face of indoctrination! My moms guilt tripping letter to me.

by BU2B 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

I wish I knew what it was like to have an unconditionally loving mother. I know she loves me and cares about me, but only within her narrow WT spectrum. If I do not meet her narrow expectations, I am a failure to her. Sad. Here is a letter she hand wrote me a few days ago. *sigh*

Dear Son,

I've been reflecting on the spiritual inheritance I have recieved from grandma. I appreciate her love and effort to help her 7 children to learn about Jehovah and how to serve him.

So now its your turn, along with Lisa to pass that inheritance on to your girls. I look forward to when we can enjoy our inheritance fully after this old world is gone. See you at the buffet Saturday (she means the A$$embly) Want to take in all that Jehovah has prepared for us.

Love you all very, very, very much- MA

WOW. She has seen me be stressed out somewhat lately (due do knowing TTATT and being "stuck in") and she thinks a letter like that will help. I just feel bad because, in her heart and mind that was encouraging and heartfelt, when all I see is a download of cult guilt and propaganda. She is a model JW. Pioneer, gets up at 5:00 am daily to do her "personal study" eat sleeps and breathes JWbroadcasting etc. She was born in going all the way back to the 50s! I have accepted that I will lose my parents one day, and as a result feel I have grown somewhat distant. Every conversation is laced with dub propaganda, and I prefer not to regularly subject myself to that and its subsequent FOG techniques. This letter upset me at first, but now it just saddens me that this is what my relationship with my parents has become. Most moms love their sons no matter what. Even ax murderers on death row who have lost everyone still can count on their mothers unconditional love. Must be nice.

• BU2B
    BU2B
    Somehow the letter got butchered. I am about to repost the whole thing.. Please hold
  • BU2B
    BU2B

Dear Son,

I've been reflecting on the spiritual inheritance I have recieved from grandma. I appreciate her love and effort to help her 7 children to learn about Jehovah and how to serve him.

Your father and I have been able to pass that inheritance on to you. We are very thankful that you have accepted it (3 Jn 4) I pray that "you continue in the things you have learned and were PERSUADED to believe" (1 Ti 3:15) That you deepen your love for Jehovah through your daily bible reading and personal study. So that you love Jehovah with your whole heart and with your whole mind and with your whole soul and with your whole strength" (luke 10:27) That you continue to "endure fully with patience and joy" (col 1:11) Know that hapiness can come from freely giving. That you encourage others and be encouraged by them. Always humbly look to Jehovah for guidance and wisdom in all you do.

So now its your turn, along with Lisa to pass that inheritance on to your girls. I look forward to when we can enjoy our inheritance fully after this old world is gone. See you at the buffet Saturday (she means the A$$embly) Want to take in all that Jehovah has prepared for us.

Love you all very, very, very much- MA

• cleanideas
    cleanideas
    I can understand some of what you are going through. My mom disowned me years ago as I am no longer a JW. In her last letter to me making it clear she will not know me anymore she spoke of how she "loved" me, but of course I view love by the actions of another, not cold words. How sad for them to be so controlled by this horrible family destroying cult.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    my born in ex wife has totally shunned our son since he got d/f. at least he's got me now. a consolation prize.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That you continue to "endure fully with patience and joy" (col 1:11)

Now there's a good thought from her letter!

Endurance and patience are definitely an important part of "fading".

Even more important if you are "stuck in" and can't really do a "dropped off the face of the earth" style of fade. If you must still make some of the meetings and show up for the FS meeting (before heading ASAP to McDonald's) then you'll definitely need endurance and patience to put on the Happy Face and "fake it".

The Truth(TM) is probably the best thing for your mother. I assume she is quite elderly, has lived out most of her life, and The Truth(TM) IS her life now. It is what provides her with friends and "meaningful" things to do vs. sitting in a rocking chair (or nursing home) and feeling sorry for herself.

Now it is time to pass on an "inheritance" to your children. See that they are raised to see the importance of planning on a good career and getting the required education to enjoy a successful and meaningful life.

Doc

• hoser
    hoser

It sounds like something my mother would write to me. Yes it is very sad that these people are conditioned to measure spirituality based on the number of meetings attended and the number of hours written on a small piece of paper.

The religion also shames parents of ones who fall away or choose to do less for the religion. This is perhaps why your mom is acting this way. She is starting to feel the shame and is projecting it on you. Shit flows downhill!

• pbrow
    pbrow

It sounds like you need to take the approach of not letting her shun you. That would include regular attendance at her residence for coffee or just casual conversation. Do not allow her to shun you. It is that simple.

Good luck,

pbrow

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I am just dumbstruck that so many people can think exactly alike. It's like they are robots. Are these really our parents, or are they robots for the org. The org had accomplished quite a feat, they are masters of manipulation. If they are ignorant and hard headed and narrow minded, they do have amazing talents of manipulation. That is where their strength is.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

I read your later was amazed at how similar it is to what my mother used to write to me and tell me every time i went over.

Can i persuade you to do the same thing i did in order to stop this?

I'm not sure where you are in your belief in God ( am an atheist at this point), but the best way I found to disarm my mother, was to simply advance the idea that i don't think the Org is serving Jehovah properly and that I'm serving Jehovah as I see described in the bible. I emphasized the point that Jehovah is not the Org; the two are separate, and I don't see any evidence that I need a human organization to worship Jehovah. I even prayed over food with them a few times with a "custom" prayer intentionally leaving the ORG out of it.

Remember.... you love Jehoober and the org is simply not good enough. Case closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit