Did you get tired of waiting for Armageddon

by karter 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• karter
    karter

I was around in 1975 then it was the generation that saw 1914 .

Armageddon was always just about there ............... i got tired of waiting

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

Hehe, I told my JW coworker that if we want Armageddon to happen then we all need to get drunk and stay drunk because of Luke 21:34 that says that if we drink then the day will be "instantly upon" us.

He was UNAMUSED!!!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Well, yes I did get tired of waiting. They always told me, it was because Jehovah wanted to make sure everyone that coube be saved would be saved. What nonsense!

The interesting thing is, that upon leaving, I can see, that not just the witnesses think that the end might be coming, but scientists, scholars and the world at large, are wary of the end as well. Whether it be by, terrorism, ecological disaster, depletion of resources. etc. There are a million ways the world could end.

The end has always come, to every civilization and human being on the earth. It is nothing new. The witnesses make you think, that it is some kind of divine revelation. The difference is, the witnesses hold it over your head, and group you in, with evil doers that will be destroyed if you don't do as they say.

No thanks! The end may come, but I'll deal with it on my own terms. Does it really matter anyways, the witnesses don't even know if they are bloodywell saved!

• heathen
    heathen

It took me six months to get sick and tired of the mind f@#$ .I still believe the worlds end will happen one way or the other . Most j-dubs believe they are saved just for obeying the book publishing corporation.They also filled me full of lies about how a bible study would be saved if they were in the process of learning "the truth" regardless of baptism or field service time and whatever else they have going. I'm certain jesus said you must be born again to be saved and that does include water baptism .It's like they just make stuff up as they go.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I got sick and tired when I was 17 - because it was always just around the corner. My personal armegeddon has come and gone.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They kept telling me that it was close, and getting closer. This was to make me think it was imminent, and that every day of field circus would possibly be the last. However, anyone that has taken ninth grade algebra could attest that it is possible for something to be close, getting closer, and yet never arrive.

How? Suppose you take a graph of the function Y=1/X. That is a simple graph that will be quite close to zero, will forever be getting closer to zero, and yet will never reach zero. Armageddon was going in this non-linear fashion that makes this possible. And there is no way I am going to be living in a state of emergency waiting for X to reach infinity.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I believe the new "marked" year is 2034 now. It's gonna happen! You just watch! LOL!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

WT Wizard, you hit the nail on the head! "Living in a state of emergency" is about the gist of it - a never-ending state of emergency - that alone can tire anyone out. Yes, after 40+ years of living in that mind state, or actually half-living, truth be told, myself (and luckily my family also) all decided the never-ending panic state wasn't WORTH IT! Headquarters isn't living in that panic state, they are perpetually busy planning for their future assemblies, meetings ad nauseum, etc. etc. so we decided we might as well start planning for our futures as well, IN THIS SYTEM! And we're feeling a ton of serenity since.

More time, more space, more breathing room, more plans. The only thing we dread now is interrogations from the GESTAPO. They no longer see us at the meetings and I think they actually get the fact that WE DON'T EVEN WANT TO BE THERE - and they are puzzled. They think we're 'weak', 'stumbled', or whatever, and I actually don't even care what they think. I dread running into any of them at the local mall, because they are all so 'concerned'. My concern factor about the end is now ZERO. HURRAY!

I leave everything in God's hands - myself, my future, the future of this earth. If he exists, he is more than capable...in the words of Alfred E. Neumann, "What me worry?"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Meeting Junkie no More,

I also got tired of waiting for Armageddon. But, that alone isn't the reason I am no longer active. There are many reasons that led up to that. There were too many issues with the religion as far as I was concerned.

I also think that waiting for the big "A" is what keeps many people captive in the religion. And captive is not too strong a word for it because I believe many people would rather not be there.

I also went through what you are experiencing about how 'concerned' they are because they no longer see you knocking yourself out to go to the meetings. I also received a lot of greeting cards at that time, some from people who didn't give me the time of day when I was active. Go figure.

I enjoy the newfound freedom as you do. It is a wonderful thing to get back your mind and your sanity. They would begrudge you this and would try to make you feel you are going to die because you are no longer captive mentally or physically like they are. I also never believed the teaching that I was somehow responsible for other people being saved. Well, who is responsible for me being saved - being as I was never reached door to door??? This teaching is designed to guilt-trip and make you feel bloodguilt that you should not feel and to be enslaved to never-ending preaching. You could never do enough. Also, they teach 'maybe' you will be saved. So, what does this mean? Should I lay awake every night and wonder if I was ever going to be good enough???

I feel as you do that it is in God's hands - my future and the future of the world. I feel it is too much for a human to handle to always be thinking about this catastrophe of Armageddon and is not conducive to mental health. I can only imagine how unhealthy it is for children and I am thankful I was not raised in this religion and at least had a normal childhood.

Enjoy your journey!

LHG

• compound complex
    compound complex

"Safeguard Your Spirituality by Training Your Perceptive Powers," by Guy Pierce:

Too busy because of the high cost of living, or living high? You can't put enough money in the bank to get through Armageddon. (talk notes re: Armaggedon)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit