High incidence of demonic activity.

by chicken little 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• chicken little
    chicken little

Anyone wondered about the large numbers of jewish people in the 1st centuary that were under demon control? The jews were very much warned to keep clear of demons and any occult practises. I find it odd then that there are so many people coming to Jesus with this problem. Why would that be? Ideas?

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

the JWs give the impression that the average jew back then was highly educated, studied the bible daily and was just waiting for the messiah to come. apart from the "demons" (*cough*epi*cough*lepsy*cough*), where did all the prostitutes and boozehounds that jesus mingled with come from? and you'd also wonder why they were herding pigs when they were not allowed to eat pork. but then again - it would be a even more boring story if you'd left away demonized pigs and drunk b1tches.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I am reading the book, The Origin Of Satan, by Elaine Pagels. The book does not address the existence of non existence of Satan, but instead deals with the revisionist nature of each successive gospel with respect to how Satan is viewed, who is influenced by him.
    I am almost done; very interesting.

The book reinforces something that occurred to me as I was beginning to fade (awaken): the Bible makes a lot more sense to me when I see it as the record of groups of people trying to make sense of events in their individual and national life, rather than as a historical record.

The early christians, for example, did not understand why they were persecuted and misunderstood; easier to see it if you believe that Satan is influencing your family, employer, etc. They increasingly saw even smaller daily conflicts and moral struggles as being manifestations of the cosmic battle between light and darkness.

I do recommend the book.

P

• Rooster
    Rooster
    Anyone wondered about the large numbers of jewish people in the 1st centuary that were under demon control? The jews were very much warned to keep clear of demons and any occult practises. I find it odd then that there are so many people coming to Jesus with this problem. Why would that be? Ideas?

I think the problem still exists but on a grander scale! It is spread out over a larger population.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Epilepsy, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, etc... I'm sure a lot of these cases were considered as demon-possesions or demon-afflicted.

• Borgia
    Borgia

According to the gospels jesus was accused of using beelzebub for exorcisms. He did not deny the charges. He just used a fancy way of beating around the bush like if a kingdom is divided against itself it will fall etc.
    However, any issue, ailment and stuff was considered to be inflicted either by sin or demons.
    So, if want to see the devil, you see him anywhere......
    Some hover see Jesus more as a magi. Just like Simon the Magician.
    But perhaps, Satans strong works have gone the same way as the powerful works of the spirit as tongues and healing and things.....to me load of B
    Cheers
    Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit