Do JWs tithe?

by lavendar 9 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

Just thought of this.....and was curious. Do they give part of their income to the WTS?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Do they give part of their income to the WTS?

No. Just their soul.

JWs pride themselves on not tithing or passing the plate. They do, however, have several different contribution boxes in every KingdomHall. Each box is for a separate purpose but the majority is expected to go to the 'Worldwide Work' for the society to use as it sees fit.

Periodically, they also publish an article on how to donate your estate to the Society.

-Aude.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    Do they give part of their income to the WTS?

Yes, you are expected to contribute in accordance with your own means, but not necessarily expected to tithe.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Then can I ask just how much would a Witness donate per month?

Better still, how much have you as Witnesses did you donate per month?

• carla
    carla

I think they may be suggesting that would be an appropriate amount, not sure though. I have found my jw printing a number of things on tithing lately.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

When I was in (over 15 years ago) I think I contributed $25 - $40 per month to the local KH.

$50 - $100 at each DC & CA.

All that plus Food and Literature.

Wish I had invested that money somewhere else...

-Aude.

• bobld
    bobld

No but they pass resolutions,they request how much you can give ie donations, free loans, etc when they build new k.h. or assembly complexes.Same dam thing as passing collection plates.Just asking for money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in a different way so they can say we are not like christians who fleece the flock.Just another way of lying,liars.Don't you believe them, when they say their services are free no collections..liars.Why don't they admit it when churches pass collection plates because they need money for utillities,maintenance,etc. So why would the wbts/gb criticize the churches for collecting money at least the churches are HONEST not like the wbts.Who say one thing and do another liars.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

My parents actually signed a paper that they would donate xx amount of dollars over xx amount of time. So they were sure to get there funds regularing each month

when they built there new hall. Alot of people are pretty generous will the KH & WTS donations even if they have little means to make their own ends meet.

Hope4Others

• StAnn
    StAnn

As a JW, I did not tithe. Our elders totalled the congregation's annual expenses and divided that by the number of publishers and made a recommendation as to how much each publisher should contribute monthly. It was a very small amount.

Now that I'm a christian, I do tithe to my church. I'm happy to do so, as my money goes not just for the maintenance and upkeep of the building but also to ensure we have a well-trained, highly educated clergy who actually have studied all of the biblical languages and are proficient in theology. You get what you pay for.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I think that tithing would prob work out to be less money. In the past 5 years or so they have had constant resolutions. It was voted on to give so much per publisher to build an apartment for the C. O., we just built a new assembly hall, renovated the existing kingdom hall(they went over budget by $35,000), increased the amount for the D.O. because of higher medical and car insurance costs, money for land for a new hall due to increased growth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit