Lawsuit against a brother - grounds for disfellowshipping?

by Olin Moyles Ghost 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

In 1 Corinthians 6:1-7, Paul is clearly not in favor of Christians suing each other. From my experience in the organization, suing a fellow witness is not allowed. My question is whether this is a disfellowshipping offense. Anyone with personal/second-hand knowledge on this? Thanks.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

If the matter is not one that has to deal with the congregation, you can do whatever you like. if a brother owes you money and you have proof of it, you can approach the brothers. That is how they would like you to do it. If the brother doesn't want to listen to the elders, take him to court. It really doesn't matter though. Sue his ass and don't worry about the fall out. You have the law of the land to support you.

The cong is only concerned with the well being of the CONG!!! If you hurt some ones feelings by your action, so what!

NMG

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Oh, and NO! They can't disfellowship you for it. Just have good evidence of the wrong.

NMG

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

In a cong. I used to go to there was a girl that I was friends with that got disfellowship because she wanted to report to the police that she was raped on several occasions by an older man in the cong. She was 14-15 years old when it happened and when she was 17 she went to the police. When she was in court the bastard broke down and confessed every thing. She never got an apology from the elders who disfellowship her.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

You may not be DF, but you will probably lose your "privileges" ™

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not personally interested in suing anyone in the congregation; I was just wondering whether this was considered a disfellowshipping offense. My understanding was that it is not, and the responses seem to back that up.

So, I wonder what would happen if a practicing witness sued the Society over, say, child sex abuse. First, would this be considered "suing a brother"? Second, would it be a disfellowshipping offense (e.g., apostacy, causing divisions, or the like)?

Or, what if a JW attorney or paralegal assisted in representing a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the Society; would that JW legal professional be open to judicial action?

My opinion is that, technically, suing the WBTS would not fall under 1 Cor. 6 because a corporation is not a "brother." But, realistically, they can DF you for anything they want under such charges as "loose conduct" or "causing divisions."

Any thoughts/opinions?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Suing the org is a whole other kettle of bacon. I can't imagine not getting the axe for that.

• RR
    RR

What you need to do is follow the SOciety's lead. First you have the person DF'd and then you sue him, that way there is no violation of scripture.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit