bunch of inactives at old-timers party

by wheelwithinwheel 2 Replies latest jw friends

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Last week-end there was a going away party for an old-timer. I didn’t attend but a brother related this interesting anecdote to me.

Apparently a newer person who is progressing well in the truth noticed how many strangers were present at the gathering and asked what congregations they were all from. He was surprised to learn that they all were all local brothers and sisters but weren’t attending meetings anymore. Seems there were about as many inactive as active at this going away party.

Our area is being hard hit by more and more drifting away. In the years past many were very zealous and took to heart the counsel to quit their jobs and go pioneering. Numerous brothers quit well-paying jobs in plants and mills believing the budget restraints would be very temporary.

Now they « witness » their former « worldly » co-workers near retirement with excellent benefits. They, on the other hand, have been struggling to get by for years and now see their kids grown up and their health and energy fading. Paid vacation, health benefits and company pension ? I don’t think so...many are husband and wife teams of white-haired window washers and floor moppers, sub-contracting from other younger elders (not even eligible for unemployment or disability benefits ... some have applied for welfare until they make it to their old-age pension).

Pretty sad it took this long to realize that the TOWER and Co. has been stringing them along crying « WOLF » over all these years.

Will the younger generation wake up sooner ?

• JBean
    JBean

I hope they'll wake up! It seems that it doesn't matter where you live, what geography... there are WAY too many elderly witnesses still working as housecleaners, lawn maintenance people, etc. for lack of a college education or for not sticking with a solid job. Very, very sad. These folks should be enjoying a bit of retirement, travelling or something enjoyable instead of killing themselves.

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

All this the product of a FALSE PROPHET!!! Hurry!, Quick! Quit your good paying jobs and forsake higher education! Armageddon is juuuuust around the corner. You want to save yourself and your family don't you? A small sacrfice now for an eternal reward that's juuuuust around the corner. Yeah R&F, you go ahead and do that. "TEE HEE" "SMIRK" "HA HA HA"

Meanwhile, we'll just live out the rest of our grizzled old lives in king-like splendor, having our meals prepared for us, our living chambers kept clean for us, free vacations all around the world, midnight rendezvous with the girls AND boys, a city of slaves at our beck and call, and sombody to wipe our butts for us when we are not able to.

I think the borg masters got the better deal.

CornerStone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit